Jurassic's Alum Formation Non Ammonite Fossils

minnbuckeye

Would anyone know good reference material regarding fossils in the Jurassic Alum Formation, Yorkshire Coast. My attempts to ID finds other than ammonites has been disappointing.

8 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Would anyone know good reference material regarding fossils in the Jurassic Alum Formation, Yorkshire Coast. My attempts to ID finds other than ammonites has been disappointing.

This recent (2019) Palaeontological Association book is excellent. It does cover the whole Lias, not just the Alum Shale Member of the Whitby Mudstone Formation but probably has all or most of what you found and there's a comprehensive bibliography. :) Available elsewhere but here's the society's page:

https://www.palass.org/beta/eps/shop/product/fossils-from-lias-yorkshire-coast/

You can try posting any specimens of course! 

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 1

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

4 hours ago, TqB said:

You can try posting any specimens of course! 

Thanks @TqB!! I enjoy trying to identify finds myself before "bothering" the forum members. In the end, I will likely post some specimens to keep members on their toes!!

• Enjoyed 1