Thoughts on this Mosasaurus Skull ?

Hello everyone,

What are your thoughts on this Mosaurus Skull. Im considering buying it

It should be a Tylosaurus, it was found in Kansas. Sized at 45 × 17 × 16 cm.

There is also a photo showing the found bones.

extraordinary-objects-natural-history-mosasaur-skull.png

mosasaur-skull-side-left.png

IMG_5281.jpeg

1-5.jpg

1-3.jpg

extraordinary-objects-natural-history-mosasaur-skull copy.png

1c6b12cf96d3f1902036bc8298c6dd3b.jpeg

Edited by Phos_01

The skull looks alright. All the anatomy is correct. I can't speak to how much of the piece is restored, though. Professional preparation jobs are really good at masking missing/damaged sections. You would need to look at the piece in person to be sure that what they say is real actually is. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Praefectus said:

The skull looks alright. All the anatomy is correct. I can't speak to how much of the piece is restored, though. Professional preparation jobs are really good at masking missing/damaged sections. You would need to look at the piece in person to be sure that what they say is real actually is. 

Thank you. I thought so also, but I just wanted some more opinions before I buy it.

Seeing it in person, is not possible sadly. I got some detailed video's of it also, Did not post them due to the video size. 

There's some discolouration, which would hint at restoration. But, in general, this seems like a very decent and good-looking skull. Depending on price and how much you're prepared to pay for it, it may be worth it even with the restoration, because getting something anatomically correct is not an easy thing to do either...

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett