Raysun

Among the specimens inherited. I am truly grateful for all the help everyone has been even with what little information I have. I understand the importance of the age of the area a potential fossil is found so again thank you for your help. 

IMG_20230606_054249273_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230606_054211507_HDR~2.jpg

1417110396_IMG_20230606_0544265482.jpg

IMG_20230606_054313082_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230606_054358010_HDR~2.jpg

1982465761_IMG_20230606_054335304_HDR2.jpg

IMG_20230606_054522805_HDR~2.jpg

I forget to mention that this piece is heavy for it's size and was accompanied by a index card stating it should be handled as little as possible due to its fragility and a location I'm assuming "Dev bay Aus. -23cfg" hope this helps. 

bumping so others may weigh in. If I saw this in the field I would think it's a very interesting crystal specimen. At a glance it looks like calcite, but the "crystal" shape isn't exactly right. Maybe barite, which would explain the density. I haven't seen barite crystals that look exactly like this, but it comes in a lot of habits.

7 hours ago, debivort said:

bumping so others may weigh in. If I saw this in the field I would think it's a very interesting crystal specimen. At a glance it looks like calcite, but the "crystal" shape isn't exactly right. Maybe barite, which would explain the density. I haven't seen barite crystals that look exactly like this, but it comes in a lot of habits.

You are the only to weigh in so far. I wish I had more information on my inherited collection to share . I thank you for your time sir. 

I also see crystals rather than coral.  Not gonna tell you what kind, cuz I don't know. 

The ones that look a bit like cauliflower might be aragonite and the more sharp ones could be barite. Too bad you don't know the provenance. You need to find someone who recognizes this. Maybe you could show it to a mineralogist in a local museum or try showing it on a mineralogical forum website.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 6/8/2023 at 1:15 AM, Ludwigia said:

The ones that look a bit like cauliflower might be aragonite and the more sharp ones could be barite. Too bad you don't know the provenance. You need to find someone who recognizes this. Maybe you could show it to a mineralogist in a local museum or try showing it on a mineralogical forum website.

Thank you for your input, I will try to learn more about it. 

On 6/14/2023 at 6:20 PM, Raysun said:

Thank you for your input, I will try to learn more about it. 

On 6/8/2023 at 1:15 AM, Ludwigia said:

I spoke with the original owners daughter and she informed me that she  remembers her father either finding or perhaps purchasing this when they lived in Pensacola Florida, maybe this helps to ID. 

2 hours ago, Raysun said:

I spoke with the original owners daughter and she informed me that she  remembers her father either finding or perhaps purchasing this when they lived in Pensacola Florida, maybe this helps to ID. 

Hmm...I'm not really familiar with Floridan fossils, but maybe @Sacha, who know his agatized corals, might recognize something here.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Hmm...I'm not really familiar with Floridan fossils, but maybe @Sacha, who know his agatized corals, might recognize something here.

Nope. Not a Florida specimen I'm at all familiar with. I'm getting more of a gypsum/selenite vibe.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Raysun said:

spoke with the original owners daughter and she informed me that she  remembers her father either finding or perhaps purchasing this when they lived in Pensacola Florida, maybe this helps to ID. 

Possibly from a rock and mineral shop or souvenir shop. Doesn't look like Florida material to me.

Cheers.

-Ken

6 hours ago, digit said:

Possibly from a rock and mineral shop or souvenir shop. Doesn't look like Florida material to me.

Cheers.

-Ken

I thought that might be too easy.. thank you all for your help. 

It is sometimes possible to reassign lost information for very distinctive types of fossils. Not as easy for geologic minerals (though there may be a few exceptions). Many mineral types are widely spread around the world (garnets, amethyst, etc.) and unless there is something distinctive about a mineral from a particular locality you might only be able to learn the mineral type but not where it came from. If you can locate a local rock & mineral club they might be able to tell you more with the specimen in hand. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken