Need More Info. On Goniodelphis Sp.

bear-dog

:mail: I need more info. on Goniodelphis sp.I can find their fossils,but not enough information on them other than they were river dolphins.Any ideas? :unsure:

Bear-dog.

:mail: I need more info. on Goniodelphis sp.I can find their fossils,but not enough information on them other than they were river dolphins.Any ideas? :unsure:

Goniodelphis is discussed briefly in "The Fossil Vertebrates of Florida" (Hulbert, R.C. Jr. ed.). The species G. hudsoni was based on a partial skull (described by G.M. Allen in 1941). So far, it is known only from that skull, jaw sections, teeth, and a nearly complete set of jaws. It is not certain that it was strictly a river dolphin (remains found in terrestrial and marine layers) but its closest relative appears to be the modern Amazon River Dolphin (genus Inia)

You can get more details in this article:

Morgan, G.S. 1994.

Miocene and Pliocene Marine Mammal Fauns from the Bone Valley Formation of Central Florida. In: Berta, A. and T.A. Demere (eds.) Contributions in Marine Mammal Paleontology Honoring Frank C. Whitmore, Jr. Proc. Sand Diego Soc. Nat Hist. 29: 239-268.

:D Thanks siteseer,great info.Will have to check it all out. :thumbsu: Was going crazy looking.Great help.

Bear-dog.

I really don't have any idea but I would love to have that fossil. :wub: Can you post some pics? :pic:

“There are no easy answers' but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right.”

-Ronald Reagan

:D Thanks siteseer,great info.Will have to check it all out. :thumbsu: Was going crazy looking.Great help.

Bear-dog,

You're welcome. You might be able to find the article at the USF library in Tampa (on Fowler near the MOSI) but you might have to go to UF in Gainesville or try requesting it through the inter-library loan system at your local public library. You can also try contacting Gary Morgan directly.

The original description is:

Allen, G.M. 1941.

A fossil river dolphin from Florida. Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology 89 (1): 3-8.