What Is Your Favourite Fossil?

TMNH

What is your favourite fossil in your collection? (Pictures would be great!)

I'm not sure if I can decide on one favourite myself, but I do like my Dinictis skull and my specimen of a Bothriolepis.

post-3350-12752604966013_thumb.jpg

Edited by TMNH

:wub: If everyone voted on it it would be a hard decision,as I have foune many first in our state.Have a fair collection of hard to find Miocene material ,but my pick is an easy one.In a yellowing plastic case wrapped in tissue paper is a alligator tooth found long ago ,when you could walk in phosphate mines here.[boy I'm dating myself here].

It was my first vert.fossil.It lit a fire in me that has me hooked .I take it out often to humble myself and remember any find should be a great one.

Bear-dog.

I grew up in central florida (Lakeland) and I remember taking field trips to get shark teeth in Mulberry...Near Bartow..Not too far from Where-the-****-am-I? Do they still allow collecting from there?

There are some close seconds, but these two have to be my favourites; 3 1/2" defomred Carcharocles sp. from the Meherrin River, Va and a 6 5/8" Summerville meg.

post-1261-12752568285995_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12752568784463_thumb.jpg

Spectacular Dinictus skull! No wonder its your favorite. I have always liked desmostylus teeth, becoming very hard to find and collect, but a rather odd creature. The more I research and collect, the more I realize the incredible variety of creatures that have been on the earth over time, my fossil hunting and collecting just gets more interesting and inspiring the more I learn.

post-3368-12753423005987_thumb.jpg

:angry: No,Stonebraker,

That is why we call it the good old days.One mine does allow children in.I don't know the particulars though.

Sorry to go off topic just wanted to provide an answer.

Bear-dog.

Spectacular Dinictus skull! No wonder its your favorite. I have always liked desmostylus teeth, becoming very hard to find and collect, but a rather odd creature. The more I research and collect, the more I realize the incredible variety of creatures that have been on the earth over time, my fossil hunting and collecting just gets more interesting and inspiring the more I learn.

I completely agree with you! The more you learn the more interesting it gets.

I actually have a desmostylus tooth myself! It is another of my favourites.

Hi!

Nice finds! Everybody has their specialties and therefore their special favorites. Mine is a little cut and polished Graphoceras half, which recently made it onto the cover page of a German magazine for hobby palaeontolgists. I found it in a clay pit in Geisingen on the swabian Alb and it comes out of the upper Aalenian layers. We still call them Dogger beta over here ;)

post-2384-12755475359958_thumb.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Mine is the rare Eocene gasteropod called Melongena Subcarinata from France. It has an excellent preservation (close to perfect!)

post-62-12755519321465_thumb.jpg

And from my other type of fossils, the incomplete jaw of a Crocuta Spelae from Belgium:

post-62-12755520610899_thumb.jpg

What is your favourite fossil in your collection? (Pictures would be great!)

I'm not sure if I can decide on one favourite myself, but I do like my Dinictis skull and my specimen of a Bothriolepis.

Are you going to show us your Bothriolepis? I would like to see it.

By the way, you are probably not getting a lot of input in this discussion because there is another discussion with the same title.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1868&st=0

It isn´t that simple to chose a favorite ... so I should say the piece I show is "one of my favored collection pieces":

It is a multi block with four ammonites belonging to the species Parkinsonia, one gasteropod called Obornella, two broken belemnites and a piece of driftwood.

The greatest Parkinsoni has a diameter of 10 cm (about 4 inches). I collected it in 2007 in Sengenthal (Bavaria, Germany) and it is prepped by airbrasive.

Best regards

Sönke

post-1873-12756473550263_thumb.jpg

http://www.Der-Steinkern.de - the german fossil magazine.

By the way, you are probably not getting a lot of input in this discussion because there is another discussion with the same title.

I would like to see it aswell!

This two examples of Devonian fishes, were shown in the Barcelona show two years ago, by a Russian? dealer...

post-62-12756489503365_thumb.jpg

post-62-12756490094194_thumb.jpg

post-62-12756490198453_thumb.jpg

Hi Roger,

thanks for your compliment and please study our old FdMs (2007). :D;)

For the others (you know it as a not chosen candidate for the fossil of the month on Steinkern) I attach a photo of one of my best pieces I prepped this year:

It is a complete 66 mm long Pyrgotrochus and a little Obornella from Évrecy (France).

Sönke

http://www.Der-Steinkern.de - the german fossil magazine.

Sorry, I´ve forgotten to attach the file...

Absolutely gorgeous :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Really a hard choice to make .... :blink:

My wife loves this sabrecat from China

post-1313-12756901769408_thumb.jpg

After a lot of soul searching...

post-1313-12756903012227_thumb.jpg

Maybe this Dipterus.

Be true to the reality you create.

Sorry about the delay. Here is my Bothriolepis Canadensis. This piece is cool because, near the top of the plate, you can see the leaves of an Archeaopteris!

post-3350-12757667546443_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the delay. Here is my Bothriolepis Canadensis. This piece is cool because, near the top of the plate, you can see the leaves of an Archeaopteris!

Oh Man; a twofer!

I really like it :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!