Texans

Frank Menser

In our search to move to a new location, Texas came up as being possibly amicable to our needs.

Not too crazy about living in "Tornado Alley, " but am thinking about the Ft. Worth / Dallas area, or even a bit south or west of it. We don't want to live in a city or suburb, prefering a more "country/nature" lifestyle with access to good fossiling areas of course.

Ok Texans...any suggestions on where should we look? :D

Be true to the reality you create.

In our search to move to a new location, Texas came up as being possibly amicable to our needs.

Not too crazy about living in "Tornado Alley, " but am thinking about the Ft. Worth / Dallas area, or even a bit south or west of it. We don't want to live in a city or suburb, prefering a more "country/nature" lifestyle with access to good fossiling areas of course.

Ok Texans...any suggestions on where should we look? :D

Frank, I am actually doing a job interview in Huntsville, TX next week. It's an hour above Houston so you get the rural feel but the city in just an hour away. It does have a few prisons near buy but that's no real issue. So I may be a new Texan as well.

John

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Frank, I am actually doing a job interview in Huntsville, TX next week. It's an hour above Houston so you get the rural feel but the city in just an hour away. It does have a few prisons near buy but that's no real issue. So I may be a new Texan as well.

John

Interesting :D We are looking at a couple places to the south of and between Dallas and Ft. Worth.

You mention south of Dallas, Cedar Hill is on or around the Kamp Ranch limestone and a lot of good shark teeth come out of there. At least last time I drove out there is is disconnected from the city and has a "rural" feel. Another place, Lake Whitney can be good for ammonites although I am not sure how far away from Dallas you want to be.

Hunstville is very green and wooded and is nice in general. Lots of petrified wood from the little I've hunted around there.

Some people like the central Texas "hill country".

Roger that! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm just outside of Austin in the Hill Country. Fossils all over the place. It's less than a day to the coast or even Big Bend. Dallas/Ft Worth is just three hours away. We can even make Santa Fe, NM in 12 hours. Up around Dallas you can get a bit more snow in the winter. But for me it's too flat. Houston and East Texas are greener but the humidity can be constant. Here in Central Texas it gets hot as all blazes but the humidity isn't so bad.

Most important thing in Texas: a cool swimming hole that you can get to whenever you want.

Some great suggstions there :D

My wife found an interesting property in Everman (Tarrant Co.) we are considering. looks to be in striking range of Mineral Wells. Know anything about there.

Looks like we'll have lots of fossil neighbors ;)

Some thoughts on my native state;

If you need big trees stay east of interstate 45- the run from Dallas to Houston- but be mindful of too far off the highway as the communities can be clique-ish

For fossils near interstate 35 is a good bet- all the way from San Antonio to the Oklahoma border you are never far from some (mostly Cretaceous) fossil exposures.

West Texas is no country for old men- but there are a lot of fossils

Hill country is a good choice- but don't tell anyone else or it's gonna start looking like southern California

Mineral Wells has a nice wide age range of fossis nearby

Most ice age fossils come from nearer the coast or up in the panhandle

East Texas is the prettiest part of Texas. The hill country is the hippest and If you like cow lots, dust storms and the smell of cow manure, I would suggest the panhandle. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I had a choice to move to San Antonio (Which I love) or come to Montana. I chose Montana because of the scenery and change of pace. I grew up in Chicago since I was a teen and the traffic and all that goes with a big city wore my soul thin. The scenery and low cost of living is a big plus and the fossil hunting is great (From what I hear...who knew 300 millions year old bugs and such could move so quickly upon my arrival)

hard to imagine leaving north carolina for texas unless that's just where the job is.

Well, I'd recommend the Hill Country or DFW area.

“There are no easy answers' but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right.”

-Ronald Reagan

hard to imagine leaving north carolina for texas unless that's just where the job is.

We really hate leaving here. We found the perfect country home (within striking range of Aurora). Yes, not leaving because we want to. :(

Well, I'd recommend the Hill Country or DFW area.

That seems to be where we are headed... :)

<psst: Austin is a happenin' town!>

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The only problem with DFW is that its FLAT and boring.... BUT theres plenty of work to be had. plus the many fossil locations in the area. Personally I like Fort Worth better than Dallas. East Texas is nice with the Pine trees and little hills. I'll let the south Texas folks speak for it. Im not a fan of Houston :) Theres some nice areas that are close to DFW that are about 1 hour outside of dallas that are "country" Theres many houses for sale in my neighborhood here in Arlington :)

And the most important part, your about 1-1.5 hrs from the NSR to look for Mos material!

Fossils R great- either place

Cultures R different

D/FW is where Atlanta meets Chicago

Austin is where New Orleans meets El Paso with a bunch of San Francisco thrown in

Fossils R great- either place

Cultures R different

D/FW is where Atlanta meets Chicago

Austin is where New Orleans meets El Paso with a bunch of San Francisco thrown in

What a mix! :P

Jax...you are speaking my language!

post-1313-12753345526272_thumb.jpg

I have recently moved from the Willis/Conroe area (just north of Houston by 60 miles) to Weatherford. I have to say if you like the hills and fossils, this is the place. Beautiful country just west of Ft.Worth.

Weatherford is a great small town with a rich history and great old historic homes. Super friendly folks too!

http://www.ci.weatherford.tx.us/

If you are looking for a secluded place around Houston...I have a great 12 acre place just off Lake Conroe in the deep piney woods for sale! Make ya a heck of a deal!:)

If you decide on the DFW area I'd suggest Tarrant County over Dallas County as far as living cost & taxes. This would be a good base to check out all of Northeast Texas fossil sites. The only reason I'm in Dallas County is it is my birth place. We moved Southwest to Cedar Hill in 1970 when the population was 1,500. It is now over 40,000. Another option would be the Cleburne area in Johnson County. If I had the funds that's where I would go as my family roots are in Blum & the Nolan & Brazos Rivers area. Good fossil hunting there also. I also love The Hill Country & East Texas, but I prefer the access to Dallas & Fort Worth.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Great suggestions, thanks Y'all!

We have shifted our focus to a place in Azle (Parker Co). Looks more in line with what we want. Anyone familiar with that area?

not leaving because we want to. :(

/

Trouble with the Mob ? :P

You know we got a lot of guns here in Texas to protect you :rolleyes:

Great suggestions, thanks Y'all!

We have shifted our focus to a place in Azle (Parker Co). Looks more in line with what we want. Anyone familiar with that area?

Sorry, just noticed this post too. Azle is a small town, well smaller than most around here. Close to Ft Worth area.