Ideas how to display fossil teeth.

North

Hi.

I would like to ask does anyone have ideas or tips how fossil teeth could be safely displayed?

Im soon able to display some of my fossils and planned to get glass showcase, but realised that it might not be efficient for showing small-medium teeth.

Most my smaller teeth are individually packed in clear cases and some are in riker cases.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for answers.

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Those are indeed, saved so much space, but Im not sure where/how to place them.

But these smaller cases are hardest to figure. I would like to get them safe, but still presented when we get younger audience. Otherwise I might need to put them in the drawer etc and take them out for guests.

Screenshot_20230620-113341_Gallery.jpg

I'm not sure where you are planning to display them (based on the word audience being used) but I have seen and thought about building different furniture options such as a clear top coffee table or a larger box to store them in for protection and viewing with an acrylic top (can put foam on the inside and cut out spots to place the small containers and hold them in place - I do this with my power tools and it works well). Really depends on how many you are talking about.  If it's a lot and you want to keep them together then your options are rather limited to "display furniture" I'd think.

*Frank*

I use acrylic gem cases in trays for my small teeth and a good number of them are on acrylic easels for display. 

20230620_040323.thumb.jpg.947dc267ea06678e3d81ad942714534a.jpg

My larger teeth go into several size riker cases but some are in those floating frame cases..  The smaller riker cases are also displayed on easels.  The larger ones are either in cabinets I made with pull out drawers or mounted on the wall sitting on wooden stands I also made.  All the teeth regardless of where they are located have labels on them with the name and provenance.

Screenshot_20230620_030949_Gallery.jpg.bfdb744a56ffb089a71b4c16277cef0c.jpg

20230620_040302.thumb.jpg.ffce430b3afebd6443c536a3b0ac8102.jpg

Screenshot_20230620_031537_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1effcb8a96c12e52f9fbe86c05c909dc.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 10

2 hours ago, FB003 said:

I'm not sure where you are planning to display them (based on the word audience being used)

Just in our living room. By audience I mostly mean my nephew and other relatives. ;)

That seems like an nice idea, I tought something similar with store jewel show cases, but it seemt to be really hard to get. But you might be right with the space, I dont have many now, but not sure about the future. But perhaps it could be adapted to store the smaller ones.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

My larger teeth go into several size riker cases but some are in those floating frame cases..  The smaller riker cases are also displayed on easels.  The larger ones are either in cabinets I made with pull out drawers or mounted on the wall sitting on wooden stands I also made.  All the teeth regardless of where they are located have labels on them with the name and provenance.

Wall mounted riker cases sure look nice.

Drawer system could work too if I get everything in cases so they are easily accessable, but with locks so I dont find out that my favorite tooth is replaced by pokemon card.

22 minutes ago, North said:

locks

??

I would not allow access to my fossil house if I was concerned about theft.  Also not quick to open one of those riker cases

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

??

I would not allow access to my fossil house if I was concerned about theft.  Also not quick to open one of those riker cases

Just meant if our future kid would get curious. :BigSmile:

Sorry, I forgot to add it to the first post, thats the reason I want them to be secured. So as long its not easy just to grab.

Yes, Children can be  very quick to grab items.  Always need very close supervision..good luck

Membrane display frames are an option for smaller amounts of teeth.  They can be bought on our favorite auction site.

I display all my fossil teeth in map chest drawers ( I have 7 full map chests).  The teeth are in Riker Mounts, Gem Jar Displays, clear plastic sowing boxes or sitting on colored foam in the map chest drawers.  Everything has site, formation, and time period information.  I don't ID my specimens with labels.  I got tired of continuously changing ID labels because of genera/species name changes years ago and removed all the ID labels.

Map Chest:

638072403_MapChest.thumb.jpg.4edd1ffa0f86c079c56fbfe02b948a89.jpg

A few of the drawers:

1789420262_PaleoceneAquiaFormationPotomacRiverLiverpoolPointMarylandspecimensnewdrawer.thumb.JPG.c7226c18278018a94ea9cb221eab4840.JPG

207257609_site8.thumb.jpg.29b0bc08eae3fa27c404a87596af8eff.jpg

682934056_site9.thumb.jpg.568529ca256c955bcbfb2f9a1d1c5ef1.jpg

Marco Sr.

• Enjoyed 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

@MarcoSr great collection? How do you keep track of what’s what then, catalogue numbers? I’m interested in doing a similiar style to that

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

That looks like an nicely organised option.

7 full chests? Thats a lot.

6 hours ago, Notidanodon said:

@MarcoSr great collection? How do you keep track of what’s what then, catalogue numbers? I’m interested in doing a similiar style to that

Each of my map chests has a number (1-7).  All my displays are sequentially numbered and have labels with their number, site, formation, and time period etc. information on the backs.  All the gem jars are individually numbered on the bottom and I have a list of what is in each gem jar in a paper list behind the foam in each gem jar display and in an excel spread sheet.  I have an excel spreadsheet that lists all my map chests by number, lists my displays by number in each map chest, and lists what is in each display.  I'm much more concerned about site, formation and time period information than I am about individual specimen genus/species IDs.  I only tend to ID the rarer specimens in my excel spreadsheets.  I easily have 500,000+ of my nicer specimens (mostly shark, ray and fish) in my map chests.  My worn, broken, beat up specimens are in 20 gallon Tupperware containers.  I tend to donate the rarer specimens as I find them.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

5 hours ago, North said:

That looks like an nicely organised option.

7 full chests? Thats a lot.

My map chests contain specimens from over fifty years of fossil collecting, usually two or three times every week.  The map chests only contain my nicer specimens.   My really worn, broken, beat up specimens are in 20 gallon Tupperware containers.

Marco Sr.

9 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

My map chests contain specimens from over fifty years of fossil collecting

Impressive.

I wish I could find fossil myself one day.

Our main land does not preserve any.

3 hours ago, North said:

Impressive.

I wish I could find fossil myself one day.

Our main land does not preserve any.

That is unfortunate if you don't have fossils nearby to collect.  Since I was 22, I've always lived where I could collect marine fossils within minutes of where I lived.  Plus when I started collecting fossils in 1973, there were many sites available and very few other fossil collectors.

Marco Sr.