Wisconsin fossils

Dean L

Hi everybody. I live in Wisconsin and primarily collect dinosaur fossils (which unfortunately I can’t find in Wisconsin) but I have recently really been having the urge to search for fossils myself so I’m wondering if anyone has info on Wisconsin fossils. I know there is a spot in Waukesha where some unusual fossils were found and a spot near platville where some great trilobites are found. Does anyone know how to get access to collect at these types of sites or any other good options? Also just out of curiosity, is Wisconsin a rarely collected state which could leave many potential new things to find?

Hello Dean,

Wisconsin is a tricky state to collect.

There are some amazing fossils to be found. unfortunately, most sites are off limits to collecting.

Feel free to send me a message and I can give you some areas to search.

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, Dean L said:

Also just out of curiosity, is Wisconsin a rarely collected state which could leave many potential new things to find?

Wisconsin has a long and very fruitful history of Paleontological studies. Starting with a notable Wisconsin Naturalist, Increase (yes that is his name), we have fossils from the Devonian to the Ediacaran period of yesteryear. There are lycopsids and prototaxites to the East near Waukesha and Milwaukee. Although I doubt those sites exist anymore. I can pm you spots over near Plattville, which ranges in Ordovician strata. You already know about the trilobites, but there are a myriad of bryozoa, orthoconic nautiloids and other invertebrates. I personally have recoved a few 2-3 foot long Actinoceratid nautiloids from that area, and would be happy to assist you with any questions.

-Jonah