JDW

• New Members

Hello all, I am an amateur scientist from Southwestern Indiana and came across this interesting sandstone boulder while hiking an old surface mine area near me. I first thought it was man made but it has too many layers and definitely sandstone. Any one know more about this type of pattern? Thanks for any help.

20230625_132454.jpg

20230625_132500.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Without close-up pics, hard to say for sure, but looks like a cluster of coral.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

• New Members

Definitely not coral as it's all the same sandstone material.  It's very brittle and falls a part easy as I couldnt retrieve a good piece. There are layers with in the boulder. I should have taken better pictures with measurements but was unprepared.  The "tubes" are about 1 cm to 1.5 cm wide. I will make another trip to the site with some tools and retrieve a slab hopefully. 

Are you sure it is sandstone and not limestone? The matrix colour seems off for sandstone.

I have encountered similarly busy ichnofossils that I generally call “worm burrows.”

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members

I am not certain of the stone material...but it rubs loose with the touch and is quite delicate like sandstone. 

I posted a smaller, but similar piece a few years ago from the Medina Group sandstone in NYS. A member here informed me the trace fossil burrows were called palaeophycus. 

These look like a very good example of trace fossils. Assigning a name may be difficult.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

• New Members

Thank you all for your great insights and welcoming a fledgling. I plan to make a trip back to the sight and hopefully get some great samples for some detailed research. Keep curious.

• 9 months later...
  • New Members

It has been almost a year since I discovered this rock and the Fossil Forum (awesome site) asking for help identifying it. I revisited the site to get better pictures and have done some research on the trace and found a research paper describing the formation (Spirocosmorhaphe, A New Graphoglyptid Trace Fossil) https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-paleontology/article/abs/spirocosmorhaphe-a-new-graphoglyptid-trace-fossil/392963AD0F84A65435AE91F94B049E56#

20240424_182653.jpg

20240424_182821.jpg

20240424_182946.jpg

20240424_183029.jpg

20240424_183044.jpg

20240424_183051.jpg

• Enjoyed 2