ydnar

5 hours ago, ydnar said:

This fossil contains 11% iron. Its not limonite. Limonite is a hydrated iron containing 40 to 60 % iron.

I don't see the logic in this statement. The entire rock contains 11.6% iron oxide, as you stated above. The iron content in itself could have a much higher percentage and very well be limonite. I would suggest that if you are still convinced that this rock is something of scientific value, then you should contact someone at the ROM or your nearest university geology department about it. It doesn't look to me like you've been able to convince anyone here of your opinions so far, so it's probably best to get some hands-on judgements.

• I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

7 hours ago, ydnar said:

Heating pyrite gives off sulfur which combined with oxygen and hydrogen in air produces hydrogen sulfides aka rotten egg smell.

Upon heating in air, pyrite combines with oxygen, forming sulfur dioxide and giving a very stinging smell.

14 hours ago, Kane said:

Again, odours will not preserve over hundreds of millions of years. That is not how fossilization works. 

14 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

That typical odor can often be smelled everywhere on the surface where the earth is fresh and moist.

This is a tricky subject! There is indeed a superficial odor connected to the local biota, which can vary.

Then there is indeed the typical smell of sulfides being sawn.

But then there can be tiny, tiny fluid inclusions in the minute minerals grains, that may contain aromatic hydrocarbons, giving very different, very distinct smells. For example, the oncoids of the Geistthal-formation give a different smell (strong) then the limestone clasts (weak) of the St. Bartholomä-formation (all about 80-70 Ma old and smack within the "oil window", diagenetically speaking) upon sawing them with the diamond saw. And even so during lapping with 400 or even 1200 grit.

The bituminous Triassic Gutenstein limestone comes to my mind, too (also personal experience), which is within the lower oil window (?). But I can not properly remember the smell. Each formation is different.

About 30 years ago, there was an infamos case in a big marble (!! - amphibolite facies!) quarry, producing finely milled marble powder. During usual operation of the mill, from one minute to the other, a strong smell of rotten eggs appeared. And disappeared. And so on. This was followed up by a small study, tracking down a thin layer of marble within the big quarry, which contained fluid inclusions with H2S. But this was well outside the oil window, just H2S (and graphite). Its not that rare, that marbles give off that smell upon being hit with a hammer (Stinkmarmor).

Franz Bernhard

I have a few fossils on display that are fine once a year to lightly wash. As soon as they are wet a strong smell of Petrichor ( smells like Geosmin ) is detectable. This is even after the fossil been kept on a shelve for 20 years. The  smell is I believe water going into the rock pores, this forms small bubbles, which float to the surface and release aerosols of the bacteria that is present in the fossil. 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

You might find this useful: Limonite

That page is a little bit inconsistent, but "Limonite" is also a tricky subject ;).

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 1

• New Members

A rock is a rock no matter how you want to cut it :)

All good fun. This is a fun forum with all kinda of ideas, thoughts, and opinions. Its all good. Thanks to everyone who responded...have a great day. Cheers

• Thank You 3

55 minutes ago, ydnar said:

All good fun. This is a fun forum with all kinda of ideas, thoughts, and opinions. Its all good. Thanks to everyone who responded...have a great day. Cheers

No truer words... :) 

We're not in the best of places for fossils, but some of the glacial erratics can be head-scratchers. That said, if you have time and wheels, there are some places not too far away to check out, like Arkona and Formosa. If you have a fossil itch to scratch, I think you'd be pretty happy in checking out those spots. :) I'd be happy to send you more detailed coordinates over PM. 

• Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

9 minutes ago, ydnar said:

Posts like this are great, I have learnt quite a bit this thread.

cheers Bobby 

• I Agree 2