Kevin Toronto

• New Members

Hi there! Thank you for welcoming me to the group! I have a friend who will be arriving from Japan July 21st. The last time he was here he went on a dig with another friend and found some fascinating samples! He is a keen fossil hunter. He will be staying near Barrie for most of his time in Canada. However, if needs be if he can travel to Toronto. I have two questions:

1. Is there any type of fossil hunt or excursion that will be taking place on the weekend of July 28th?

2. If I am unable to take him fossil hunting during the week prior to the 28th, is there someone who will be going fossil hunting that weekend who wouldn't mind having this lovely individual accompany them? He is keen, kind and very interested in this field of study.

Any leads or information is greatly appreciated!

Kevin 

Any organized fossil trips would likely be through a rock/fossil club since the best fossils are typically in quarries that will not permit access unless in a deal with a CCFMS-certified club. (here's a list of clubs: http://ccfms.ca/Member-Clubs.php). I do not know if any clubs are doing trips during the time your friend arrives, but it may be worth it to reach out to one of those clubs. Membership fees are pretty nominal. 

Barring that, you can always take your friend along the creeks in Etobicoke where there will be upper Ordovician fossils.

Barrie area has some Gull River Formation road cuts. If near Collingwood, I don't mind sharing a road cut your friend can investigate along highway 26 just outside Collingwood. It has a great deal of Cobourg Fm material with plenty of brachiopods and trilobite parts. 

I would offer to show your friend around, but I'll likely be on the road to a far off location for a dig of my own. :hammer01:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer