Dorset coast - Fossil ID

Tom Thumb

• New Members

Hello to any fossil enthusiasts reading, I wonder if anyone can help me to identify an intriguing find from Dorset? I'm an absolute beginner in these matters.

I found this piece on the shore poking out of some clay, it looks great with lots of bits of old shell and some lovely starfish looking things. It was originally part of a larger brittle rock which came apart, this is the most interesting fragment. 

What I am really interested in is the fossil to the right of the object which looks a bit like a foot. The "foot" is about an inch in length, although the fact it has six "toes" appears to rule it out as an actual foot. The base of the "foot" is textured like scales. 

Any thoughts? Right now I can't even be sure it it's animal, vegetable or mineral.

Any bonus identifications of the other bits and pieces in the rock would of course be welcome too, but I'm sure I could figure them out.

PXL_20230706_153025995.jpg

PXL_20230701_212426253~2.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

• New Members

A friend think it's a fragment of Brachiopod shell, which is probably the case although the ridges are very 'knobbly' compared to many of the example fossils I've seen online. 

Welcome to the forum.

It's a piece of a pectenid bivalve, something like Radulopecten. (And the stars are crinoid columnals.) :)

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

• New Members

Looks like it's mystery solved! Thanks folks, can't wait to go back to look for more soon :ammo2:

• Enjoyed 1