what fossil bone is this?

Mister Wu

I'm not at all sure that this is bone, particularly since the photos don't show much detail. Where and how did you find it? Do you know the stratigraphy?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

34 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I'm not at all sure that this is bone, particularly since the photos don't show much detail. Where and how did you find it? Do you know the stratigraphy?

found in Motunau beach covered in concretion and very heavy, I will add more photos to it later 

Hmmm. I'm rather stumped on this one. Maybe @mamlambo could recognize what this is. By the way, things cannot be "covered with concretion", since a concretion is the name for a type of stone.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Hmmm. I'm rather stumped on this one. Maybe @mamlambo could recognize what this is. By the way, things cannot be "covered with concretion", since a concretion is the name for a type of stone.

We will need some clearer photos, in sunlight if you can @Mister Wu I have found bryozoan there which can look like bone, but cannot see enough in the photos.

• I Agree 1

17 hours ago, mamlambo said:

I will prep it just now.

Edited by Mister Wu

Thanks for the additional photos, to me it looks like the bryozoan I've found on that beach rather than bone. 

1 hour ago, mamlambo said:

Thanks for the additional photos, to me it looks like the bryozoan I've found on that beach rather than bone. 

strange thing about bryozoan the rim of each bit doesn't covered in holes and only the broken parts have.  I zoom in the photo and take a screenshot it has very tiny holes.

Screenshot_20230710_081823_Gallery[1].jpg

Edited by Mister Wu

I don't know enough about fossil bryozoan and coral to say for sure if it is one of those, I don't think it is bone though.

• I Agree 2

8 hours ago, mamlambo said:

I don't know enough about fossil bryozoan and coral to say for sure if it is one of those, I don't think it is bone though.

it maybe coral.