Petrified Pareidolia Fossil? Real or Imagined

davidcarella

• New Members

Discovered May 8, 2023 - Glacier Washington USA Found next to river on bank.  Don't have to stretch imagination far to see a human like face within rock.  Crossing fingers and hoping BINGO!   Please ignore timestamps - Images were shot today withing the last few hours. front.thumb.jpg.53282af6cad7cc2aded253423c9026bc.jpgside.thumb.JPG.cd6e6c389922b1e71d5f631b0689b9af.JPG

Our imagination is not the only thing stretched. Look at the stretched clasts in the metaconglomerate. Metaconglomerate rocks with stretched clasts are one of the least likely types of rocks to contain fossils.

487FBC0F-3587-47A1-ABFA-297DF7D24B25.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Sorry, but this is just a rock.  :(

Not seeing any kind of fossil here.

• I Agree 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Concerning bingo, you can set your mark at "very nice facelike rock".

"3d petrified human face" shouldnt even be on the card.

Or ar you wondering if this is a piece of prehistoric art?

That would not so much be a question for us fossil people. I do not think it is, but cannot be as sure as about the fossil.

Best Regards,

J

• I Agree 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 6 months later...
  • New Members

Hi David - This is my first post on this forum and I probably will get crucified. The fossils in Western Washington are not like those found in the rest of the USA. What you have found is actually a skull. Probably Amphibian of some sort. Rocks like these are always overlooked as fossils as most of these rocks found in Western Washington are heavily oxidized and have some degree of agatization which causes the facial features to disappear leaving you holding "Just a rock".  However, your find does stick out. Take a steel welding brush and clean of the oxidation and staining. It will bring out the color and more of the details.

What I see from your photos is a skull with several bite marks on it. The top of the skull has been crushed inward from the bites giving it some disformity. It is fractured at the neck where it was bitten off the rest of the animal. The bite marks across the top of the skull caused the mouth to open. Your rock shows two horizontal lines which run from the back of the head around the snout and back again. The tongue was pushed out when the top of the skull was crushed. Most of these skulls found, the mouths remain closed and all you see is a very thin jaw line if you're lucky , no tongue or teeth visible. After you have cleaned up your rock, you will notice in the jaw lines top and bottom of the tongue, very small triangle teeth. This animal probably had rows of these teeth going back into the skull similar to a shark. I also notice a small eyeball top left of the fracture (probably a bite) middle of rock at the jawline. So what stands out to me is the color, shape, bite marks, jaw line, teeths, tonge, and eyeball.

Your skull should clean up nicely and you will see more of the details I just listed. Currently, I have accumulated around 200 similar skulls small and large with similar characteristics.  Enjoy your find.

It lacks the morphology and texture of skull anatomy. It is non-biogenic geology.

• I Agree 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

"Currently, I have accumulated around 200 similar skulls small and large with similar characteristics. "

It would be interesting to see your specimens. Could you provide pictures??

• I Agree 2

Nope sorry. It's just a rock. Fossils don't fossilize in the way you are describing. There is NO soft tissue, NO tongue, No bone, No symmetry, and the wrong kind of rock besides. If there were "hundreds" of these type fossils around it would be written up in every scientific journal in the world. Sorry to burst your bubble

Edited by Randyw
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

@Wadino, I respectfully disagree.  Tongues and eyeballs do not fossilize in this manner.  The specimen has none of the sutures or joints that should be present, even in a crushed skull.  It has none of the texture or internal structure of bone.  Even an unprepped specimen will show these features in places.  If you have over 200 such specimens, perhaps you could choose a couple to section, or have someone do a CT scan on them.  If they are actually skulls the interior should show matrix-filled spaces where the brain, sinuses, etc were present.

Don

• I found this Informative 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wadino said:

What you have found is actually a skull.

Nope. Nothing of the sort. This object is the product of the geologic process, and was never any part of an organism.

Stick around, and you'll pick-up the basics of the scientific process. :^)

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

No fossil here , and no useful info in Wadino's comments. 

• I Agree 6

On 2/14/2024 at 8:59 AM, Wadino said:

This is my first post on this forum and I probably will get crucified.

You will not be "crucified". We do not allow that here. What we do here is scientific analysis and science based information.

We do not sit around and leave non-scientific answers unchallenged.

However, you are not posting accurate information. And nothing in the OP's post is related to any kind of fossil. 

You do a disservice to the OP to imply otherwise.

It is obviously some sort of metamorphic rock, with no bone textures, no skull morphology, and no bilateral symmetry.

Not a fossil.

We can agree to disagree, but science is on my side, here. Not feelings, impressions, or convictions. Just science.  :shrug:

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 6

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry, these are just rocks.

• I Agree 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I too would like to see pictures of some of your hundreds of skulls. Challenge that will be taken? Let’s wait and see.

Like the others, I think it’s rock, and I have over 40 years of experience. Some of the people who have responded to you are paleontology professionals.

We are here on a scientific forum for sharing paleontology. We cannot let anything be said.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• Fossildude19 locked this topic

TOPIC IS NOW LOCKED.

OP has not responded/been online since he posted this topic.  :shrug:

Leaving this topic open just invites more pointless discussion about an obvious rock.

• Thank You 2
  • I Agree 3