Trilobites from the Gull River Formation

ChasingGhostsYT

Howdy folks! I recently had a family trip to Ontario, and found a few rock exposures throughout Kingston to rummage around for fossils. I was digging into the Ordovician aged Gull River Fm, which has chert-like rock that I still find somewhat difficult to process. I managed to snag a little bit of rock to add to the weathering pile, and today I’ve found some interesting specimens. I’m looking at two unidentified  pygidiums, and I believe I’m looking at half a Cephalon on the final slide. If anyone has literature they don’t mind sharing on the formation I’d love to read up, and I’d appreciate a little help ID’ing especially the Cephalon in question. 

E3818994-0ADF-4560-B9FE-C86AFA790597.jpeg

76BFB341-4F92-497A-90AD-93651C02B7C3.jpeg

76F8EFEC-5F59-44F8-918B-F62B6DD2D4AA.jpeg

The trilobite faunal list from Isotalo's book on Ordovician trilobites of Ontario.

I would wager both the cephalon and pygidium belongs to Bathyurus. The pygidial border is a tell for me, in addition to the long genal spine. 

From a Google image search:

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 11.43.14 AM.png

BEAC95E3-EBD0-464E-8468-150288C9E4EE.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree with Bathyurus.  Not sure of the species, given the material at hand.

Don

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Kane said:

The trilobite faunal list from Isotalo's book on Ordovician trilobites of Ontario.

I would wager both the cephalon and pygidium belongs to Bathyurus. The pygidial border is a tell for me, in addition to the long genal spine. 

From a Google image search:

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 11.43.14 AM.png

BEAC95E3-EBD0-464E-8468-150288C9E4EE.jpeg

I appreciate it a ton man I’m excited to be able to ID these guys! 

Well, the Gull River is a bit more parsimonious than some of the upper units, so always a delight to find trilobites in that material. As you came to realize, Kingston is not the easiest city to score trilobites, but they are there with a bit of persistence. :hammer01: Hopefully you will have an opportunity to do a return visit. 

Any chance anyone has Prep suggestions…I have more of this rock I’d like to slowly process but it’s a very hard chert-like rock

Just now, ChasingGhostsYT said:

Any chance anyone has Prep suggestions…I have more of this rock I’d like to slowly process but it’s a very hard chert-like rock

I can’t wait to return man! I dig mainly around PA and it has tons to offer. However, Ontario had a unique challenge in rockhounding man. It was a great learning experience for me. Like I said man,  I can’t wait to return with more experience under my belt and possibly score a few more bugs

15 minutes ago, ChasingGhostsYT said:

This may mostly be a case of WYSIWYG. Since these are fragmentary, it may not be worth the effort to prep. Of course, if you had some air scribes or even a Dremel, you could poke around and see if you can expose a bit more. 

Both PA and Ontario are filled with fossil riches. :) It's getting a bit harder over time to find those goodies. One suggestion of a spot to check when you're back is a Tim Horton's next to a bridge. I forget the exact location, but not too far off the 401. They dumped a lot of Gull River material there, and it is where I was lucky to find a near complete Bathyurus just by flipping a few rocks. Most of the material is meh, but maybe you can get lucky. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

14 minutes ago, Kane said:

This may mostly be a case of WYSIWYG. Since these are fragmentary, it may not be worth the effort to prep. Of course, if you had some air scribes or even a Dremel, you could poke around and see if you can expose a bit more. 

Both PA and Ontario are filled with fossil riches. :) It's getting a bit harder over time to find those goodies. One suggestion of a spot to check when you're back is a Tim Horton's next to a bridge. I forget the exact location, but not too far off the 401. They dumped a lot of Gull River material there, and it is where I was lucky to find a near complete Bathyurus just by flipping a few rocks. Most of the material is meh, but maybe you can get lucky. 

I really appreciate the help man. I’ll poke a bit at the rock but i think you’re right man with seeing what you get. I do appreciate it man I’ll have to get back up to Ontario soon!