Some Type Of Mako Species?

Sharktoothguy11222

I recently made my first purchase on eBay yesterday night :) So, I have a question about one of the makos I bought.

This is the description that is on the site.

THE TOOTH - Measures 1 5/8" Slant Length (1.64"). The photos well represent the actual condition/appearance of the tooth. I will let them speak for themselves. The only specific thing I will point out is that, in addition to the amazing color, this tooth is interesting for another reason. It does not appear to be the typical Isurus hastalis species. The tooth is more narrow, similar to the narrow-form species identified at Lee Creek. It's possible that the wider teeth we generally call I. hastalis are actually from Isurus (Cosmopolitis) xiphodon and these narrower teeth are the true I. hastalis. It's my opinion though, this tooth is a yet unnamed narrow-form Isurus hastalis related species. It could also just be a slightly wider (and larger) than normal tooth from the I. desori species identified here in the Temblor Formation (aka Isurus oxyrinchus). Most times, you will see this tooth identified as I. hastalis, by default, since there's nothing else to call it. Here is the narrow-form hastalis dentition from Lee Creek, at elasmo (link at bottom of page, on left).

NOTE - I don't want to give you the wrong impression. This species is not rare in our fossil formation here (though one with this color is). I just wanted to introduce you to this interesting species. We actually often find teeth that seem to bridge the differences between the smaller/narrower I. desori and the larger/wider I. hastalis - like this one. These narrow-form teeth are very rarely found larger than 2", so this is a tooth from an adult-sized shark.

FOSSIL INFORMATION - The fossil source is the Round Mountain Silt portion of the Temblor Formation, which is exposed near Bakersfield, California, in Kern County. The general area is sometimes referred to as Sharktooth Hill or Mountain. The age of the fossil layer is mid-Miocene (approximately 13-15 million year old - perhaps older in some spots). The scientific name for the shark this tooth came from is unknown. It appears to be one of several possible Mako shark species, as explained above.

So, I just wanted to get all of your input, what do you think of this.

post-282-1208089913_thumb.jpg

post-282-1208089925_thumb.jpg

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

LOL !! You out bid me on that tooth. It's a real nice one and good size too , I just liked the color for my mako collection. Congrat's on your win. B)B)B):D

post-23-1208091351.gif

It's my bone!!!

LOL !! You out bid me on that tooth. It's a real nice one and good size too , I just liked the color for my mako collection. Congrat's on your win. B)B)B):D

Hey worthy,

Sorry I outbid you, but may the best shark tooth hunter win. Wow, I knew eBay was out there, but I never thought to look until last night at their selection of shark teeth.

BTW, I also won three more nicely colored teeth from him.

Thanks, Dan

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

That guy is a really good person to deal with he is first class. For another seller look at Steves fossil shark teeth Ebay store ,he also has some ok deals. B)B)B):D

It's my bone!!!

Nice looking tooth. I'll second the opinion already expressed. The seller you dealt with is one I like. The Isurus planus that is my current avatar came from him. That said, I don't know enough about variations in hastalis, etc. to comment on his description.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

I would agree with the seller (I've also bought several from Ron) This tooth type is not that rare from Bakersfield and is still referred to as I.hastalis, although wider tooth forms come out of the same area.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I would agree with the seller (I've also bought several from Ron) This tooth type is not that rare from Bakersfield and is still referred to as I.hastalis, although wider tooth forms come out of the same area.

I've always thought of this tooth from Bakersfield as Isurus hastalis, but I'm I haven't paid much attention to these West Coast teeth. There are three other shark teeth exposed on this matrix piece -- two Galeocerdo contortus at the top-reverse side and one unidentified whose blade-tip is exposed above the root of the mako tooth. The matrix is chock-full of bone.

post-42-1208189677_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest