Eggs or Seeds

rocky68

• New Members

Hi everybody first time here.I found a bag of polished stones none bigger than a quarter.I don't know where there from but I'm in Colorado so i take them home and put some of them under a microscope that connects to my computer and this is what i saw.The rocks themselves are dark red almost black in color about 1/2 inch long by 1/4 inch wide and corkscrew like shape.What are these how could these things get trapped inside the stone like this.if anybody has an idea of what these are let me know.thank's

20230131_0241_031_0.000.jpg

20230131_0241_032_0.000.jpg

20230131_0238_027_0.000.jpg

20230131_0238_028_0.000.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.

We need better up close photos of only a few of the better stones. There are many reflections that are obscuring the details. Are they underwater or in a jar?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• New Members

what your looking at are the stones themselves they are not under water. or in a jar.I just put them on a black backround and zoom in as close as i can than take the picture.the reflections or bright spots are the reflections of the lights from the microscope on the stones.The stones are highly polished.those eggs or seeds are part of the stone.It's like your looking into the stone and seeing whats on the inside.

• New Members

let me clarify that what your looking at are a bunch of Eggs or seeds or whatever they are, are on the inside of the stone.

5 hours ago, rocky68 said:

The rocks themselves are dark red almost black in color about 1/2 inch long by 1/4 inch wide and corkscrew like shape.

The rocks looks like gastropod steinkerns. The objects inside look amazingly like ostracods but I would be surprised if ostracods filled up an empty snail shell and preserved this way.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, rocky68 said:

these are the best pictures i could get of the individual stones

20230817_2319_001_0.000.jpg

20230817_2319_002_0.000.jpg

20230817_2319_003_0.000.jpg

Also these photos are unfortunately by no means sharp enough for anyone here to make anything more than an educated guess. Please try to greatly improve the quality if you really want to know what these things are.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Daylight may help.

Interesting things indeed, the overall shape looks like a heavily reshaped, polished gastropod fossil, although from these pics it could be any kind of stone cut into that shape.

the globular inclusions look like some kind of biogenic material to m,-  coprolite-pellets of something that lived in the shells (if there where shells), Eggs, shells (like the otracods mentioned above... better quality pics will increase the chances to solve the riddle.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Youve got to get better photos.  The first ones are so close, we cant see what we are really looking at, and the second ones are so blurry as to be unusable.  Bright, clear, in-focus pictures.  The first pics look like something covered in a polycarbonate, they look almost man-made.  Better pics should help.

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.

I have similar in a chunk of Turritella agate. 

2.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

2 hours ago, daves64 said:

I have similar in a chunk of Turritella agate. 

Nice. This one shows one valve overlapping the other. Very typical of ostracods. A quick Google search has several references to ostracod packed Turritella fossils.

ostracods.JPG

• I found this Informative 1