Help in identification.

ScottInTexas

• New Members

I stumbled on an area rich in these types of fossils, some pieces where I found these are a couple feet wide and the whole area is stacked with various types of marine life fossils  so I would like to know what they are.

Thank you! 

IMG_20230826_183028.jpg

.trashed-1695681753-IMG_20230826_174208_1CS.jpg

IMG_20230826_174124.jpg

IMG_20230826_182655.jpg

Edited by ScottInTexas

It might help to know where you collected these, i.e. the county, so we can identify the formation they came from? As it is, I'm not seeing fossils. They may just be geological in origin.

4 hours ago, ScottInTexas said:

IMG_20230826_174124.jpg

IMG_20230826_182655.jpg

If these were collected with the Exogrya ponderosa clams from you first post, then they probably are Late Cretaceous Austin Group rocks.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/135877-i-am-a-new-member-in-central-texas/?tab=comments#comment-1442573

Unless better photos show a near microscopic grid-like pattern characteristic of a rudist like Durania, I think that they are calcite slickensides. Calcite was growing in and was polished in a fault zone.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/67359-limestone-petrified-wood-from-mckinney/?do=findComment&comment=707552

B297D95C-892E-4C34-B447-0CC293789F93.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• New Members

Thank you !

Slick sides are apparently exactly what these are I so much appreciate the reply. 

• New Members
14 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

You are mentioning radiolitids in the tags - ?
Franz Bernhard

Yes but I am apparently mistaken as the other members have noted. As my main profile states I have no education in Geology/ Paleontology so here to learn without doubt.

• New Members
On 8/26/2023 at 9:29 PM, debivort said:

It might help to know where you collected these, i.e. the county, so we can identify the formation they came from? As it is, I'm not seeing fossils. They may just be geological in origin.

I found them in south Central Texas in Williamson County.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, ScottInTexas said:

As my main profile states I have no education in Geology/ Paleontology so here to learn without doubt.

As another noob, this is a great site to pick up that education. So many experts!