Agatized coral?

Cody_florida

Seems like the right ID to me. What's the cost of cutting them open? I could imagine they look pretty good.  Other folks may have opinions to offer.

• Thank You 1

I plan on getting a pile of worthy rocks together then renting a saw from home depot and just cut everything that day. $15 to rent it for four hours. 

Really just trying to learn what's worth even cutting and if I'm getting my IDs right and not just bringing home junk rock lol.

Edited by Cody_florida

Just in case you don't already know, you'll need a wetsaw with diamond blade. You'll have to think about sanding and polishing too if you want nice results.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Yeah I know to use a wet saw and diamond blade just from research. I'll prob just buy the blade and use the rental saw if the rental didnt come with the right blade already. Can I just wet sand it by hand? 

I also have a rock shop near me I might pop in and ask about sanding and cutting to see if that's a better option 

2 hours ago, Cody_florida said:

Can I just wet sand it by hand? 

yes — I've polished quartz rocks by hand. Get a water-safe sandpaper (automotive generally works), and work your way up through the grits in 4 or 5 stages. Aluminum oxide polishing agent and a chamois at the end.

I can't add anything beyond the recommendations already made. I don't think, though, that the samples look solid enough to yield anything worthwhile.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 2

21 hours ago, Cody_florida said:

I plan on getting a pile of worthy rocks together then renting a saw from home depot and just cut everything that day. $15 to rent it for four hours. 

Make a jig you can use to cradle the specimens that will hold them securely before you rent the saw. Trust me. I speak from experience.

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!