Bison jaw

garyc

I’m sure I posted this when I found it, but I think I only got “bison” as an id. I’m reposting because of the recent post and subsequent conversation about bison vs cow tooth size. The length of the m3 is about 52mm. Would that measurement be in the range of bison antiquus?

IMG_1699.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Because of ALL the discussion , just tonight I captured some images from UF MNH,  m3 from Bison Latifrons... looks to be 53 mm, but I WISH they just they just posted the exact length for every tooth... I am probably a millemeter or 2 off...  Please check and correct if necessary..... 

Clipboard03BisonLatifrons.jpg.80674f0ad6c4289cd37cdb2e76a27331.jpgvp_uf016683occBisonLatifronsSizes.thumb.jpg.80bfef41bc5a198b13397a34eb6b6029.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

13 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Because of ALL the discussion , just tonight I captured some images from UF MNH,  m3 from Bison Latifrons... looks to be 53 mm, but I WISH they just they just posted the exact length for every tooth... I am probably a millemeter or 2 off...  Please check and correct if necessary..... 

Clipboard03BisonLatifrons.jpg.80674f0ad6c4289cd37cdb2e76a27331.jpgvp_uf016683occBisonLatifronsSizes.thumb.jpg.80bfef41bc5a198b13397a34eb6b6029.jpg

Thanks Jack, I suppose Latifrons and Antiquus have some overlap in the ranges, so that’s definitely a possibility.

The teeth are not diagnostic for distinguishing between Bison species.  Only horn cores and other skull elements (span of the masseteric process) are useful.  This according to Jesse Robertson in the PLEISTOCENE FOSSILS OF FLORIDA, edited by Dave Webb.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Here is an Bison upper molar identified B. Antiquus by The Western Science Center,  which is associated with Diamond Valley Lake in California.img_5749occusalText.jpg.f991437f30bf29200ae9de8b3caa3ae1.jpgimg_5749occusal1.jpg.413ecd9e64d8219d435a06d7b3ddf784.jpg

Seems the only reason for Identifying a Bison tooth to species is when  there is a complete absence of one species Horns/Skull at the fossil site.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Jesse Robertson (op. cit.) points out that there are three species of bison in Florida,  but these species "appear to be successional, not overlapping in time."  That may be the general assumption for the brief history (100K years) of bison in North America.  Context could be crucial, but we are not given any of the geology/paleontology of West Dam to support "...this is most likely Bison antiquus."  Maybe it is, maybe it's not.  "Bison sp." seems to me more appropriate for isolated teeth.

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest