Mioplosus_Lover24

I bought this tooth on impulse a few days ago. To me it looks like a fully rooted Plesiosaur tooth. It has all the characteristics of being from the Kem Kem Beds aswell. I've not seen any other rooted teeth to compare it to. So, did I score, or did I buy a crocodile tooth?

20230904_133002.jpg

20230904_132927.jpg

20230904_132957.jpg

20230904_132954.jpg

20230904_133007.jpg

20230904_132933.jpg

20230904_132950.jpg

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

The most interesting feature to me is this hole at the base of the root.

20230904_134529.jpg

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

I’m thinking plesiosaur. I know the Kem Kem had river systems with Leptocleidid plesiosaurs present and of a similar morphology. Not sure if there were any polycotylids around.

• I found this Informative 1

57 minutes ago, EPIKLULSXDDDDD said:

I’m thinking plesiosaur. I know the Kem Kem had river systems with Leptocleidid plesiosaurs present and of a similar morphology. Not sure if there were any polycotylids around.

Has the species been described? And any opinion or idea how rare of a tooth this is?

• 11 months later...

Definitely the Kem Kem leptoclidid plesiosaur. Haven't seen a rooted tooth like this before either. Nice one! :D

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 9/4/2023 at 10:07 PM, Mikrogeophagus said:

Not sure if there were any polycotylids around.

Seeing as leptoclidid's were the ancestoral lineage to polycotylids, it's a mistake easily made, especially as the latter are more commonly known.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett