Whiskey Bridge Info Wanted For Noob (Newbie).

keedler

Hello,

I am planning a trip in a couple days. I havent been to the site before, but from what I can gather this site is dependent on the river level. Someone mentioned anything over 10 ft as being to high (currently running at 12 ft). Is that a correct statement? I just dont want to make the drive if the collecting area is underwater. Please be aware this is all that Dan guys fault. How I ever found the brazosport museum link I dont really know. Its been all downhill since then. Do you think I could send him a bill for time/materials?

Thanks so much.

And thanks to all those taking the time to post, there is some great information on the site.

Also is there any truth to the rumor that the guy in Oregon (crab guy) sends a prepped crab to all people making their first post?

I don't know much about Whiskey Bridge (couple folks here do for sure), but Jason is a generous guy (maybe not that generous, though), and Dan? He's a carrier...

Welcome aboard :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

welcome to the forum. you can find info on the site at the hgms.org website under their past trips info, if i recall. anywhere it's there somewhere.

the site is accessible to varying degrees depending on how high the water is. when it's very low, you can go a lot farther down the bluff without too much concern about falling in. but at twelve feet, you should be able to access enough to have a good time there. the river banks can be extremely slippery there. there is a ton of poison ivy in the vegetation, so be careful getting down to the bluff.

in my mind, the only good fallback plan when you go there and there's not good conditions at the bluff would be to look for petrified wood in the area. or head west til you come to the cretaceous

Welcome. Scroll down to the the bottom of the Field Trips page on http://hgms.org/. There is lots of info on Whiskey Bridge.

Join us at the HGMS paleo section meeting on the 15th of June at 7:30 p.m. silverphoenix will be giving a presentation on Whiskey Bridge.

The river is fine at 12 feet. Just don't fall into the river. The current is swift. 6-8 feet is normal. You can check it at http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv?08108700

Also watch out for snakes.

Thanks so much for the info. I guess I missed the HGMS details section.

Also thanks for the invite Mike.

Everyone have a great day.

Greetings Keedler

So I've inspired you to new heights of tomfoolery....I'm honored! I recently posted my March and April reports on at BMNS.org - hope you like them....I did! I had a very specific itch to scratch in May as my upcoming report will soon reveal....

Auspex

The carry is getting a bit heavy...as my ex wife used to say, "When you die I'll just dig a hole, push you in, and cover you up with all your **** ammonites".

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The carry is getting a bit heavy...as my ex wife used to say, "When you die I'll just dig a hole, push you in, and cover you up with all your **** ammonites".

:lol: Dan, I am still laughing! Now I know where all of my petrified wood will wind up!

So I thought about Dans and Mikes comments...

Someone is going to get a motherlode of goodies when they come along and dig you guys up.

And Dan the field reports are just awesome. Keep em coming. I also bought Finsley book, thanks for that.

I just havent figured out where to hang all maps.

Thanks again guys.

"I just havent figured out where to hang all maps."

some go in your car. and when you forget what town you're in and which ones you've just been to, go home for awhile...

Yeah, it is headed higher, too...not good for hunting this weekend.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Surf's up! :o

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I was planning to make a trip there this weekend, but the torrential rains today and yesterday are going to make it very hazardous.

I have been there at 18 feet. I would not recommend it for most people as a lot of exposure is not accessible and the river looks pretty mean. There are still some areas you can collect, but if you slip and fall in, well.....

I was planning to make a trip there this weekend, but the torrential rains today and yesterday are going to make it very hazardous.

it's just not going to be possible. besides, that glauconite isn't any fun when it's muddy.