Unclean Split - I now need to a very fine split to piece together the full fossil.

fossil_fun

• New Members

Hello, I recently found a fully articulated fossil after splitting Altamira shale. However, the break was not even. I now have the fossil in two pieces and want to put them together. However, the bottom portion is not fully exposed but very thin. I need to split it in order to have the fully exposed fossil, but am worried that it will just break into a million pieces if I try. As you can see from the picture, I need the small rock to fully split along the fossil line. Any recommendations on how to approach this? 

IMG_5366.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Would you like to transfer parts from one half to the other? Then you have to glue it together (I use superglue, very thin) and prep from one side.

And before you glue it together, ensure you meticulously clean off every bit of dirt and debris with a soft brush on both faces to be glued. Even the tiniest grains might result in a poor fit. This is even more important when the fossil is thin. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members

Yes I plan to glue it. But first I need to split the small rock and I don't know how to do that in a way that would not endanger the fossil.

13 hours ago, fossil_fun said:

But first I need to split the small rock

Would be safer to glue, then scribe and not attempt to split.

RB

• I Agree 2

Nice fish fossil, although, it does look a bit disarticulated or poorly preserved, at least, at the head area.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with @RJB and @Kane

Clean the joint, then glue the pieces together and then prep the block. Don’t try to split it as this almost never goes as planned.

• I found this Informative 1