Select finds from the Late Cretaceous Fort Crittenden Formation south of Tucson, AZ. Who's good at gastropod ID?

Benjamin Mohler

• New Members

The area we explored was lousy with snails and unionid bivalves. Here are some of the more complete gastropods:

75743712_adobecanyongastropods.thumb.jpg.776cad4346948792bac3e9d7826887b9.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

I think the larger ones may be a species of Viviparis, but I'm not sure.  I have an old publication on the Fort Crittenden fauna somewhere but I would need time to dig it up, so to speak.  I recall Physa and Viviparis for the gastropods, Unio for the clams, but I don't recall the species or even if they have been determined.  The small gastropod on the right may be a Physa.  Did you find any vertebrate material?  I collected in the Fort Crittenden a couple of times when I lived in Tucson.  It wasn't easy to get to in a minivan, which is what I drove at the time.  Goog for moving kids, not so good for driving up rocky washes.  The snails and clams were abundant, but I also found a gar scale, a bowfin vertebra, and shell bits from a couple of different turtles.  No dinosaur bones or teeth, unfortunately.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members
50 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think the larger ones may be a species of Viviparis, but I'm not sure.  I have an old publication on the Fort Crittenden fauna somewhere but I would need time to dig it up, so to speak.  I recall Physa and Viviparis for the gastropods, Unio for the clams, but I don't recall the species or even if they have been determined.  The small gastropod on the right may be a Physa.  Did you find any vertebrate material?  I collected in the Fort Crittenden a couple of times when I lived in Tucson.  It wasn't easy to get to in a minivan, which is what I drove at the time.  Goog for moving kids, not so good for driving up rocky washes.  The snails and clams were abundant, but I also found a gar scale, a bowfin vertebra, and shell bits from a couple of different turtles.  No dinosaur bones or teeth, unfortunately.

Don

A single gar scale is the only vertebrate material I saw on this trip, but there will be more. The cliffs there are butter soft, so I think some screenwashing for microfossils is in order!