Small rodent tibia?

Sebassie

Found this mineralized tibia at the Zandmotor beach in the Netherlands. This beach is known for Pleistocene fossils. 

I don’t know much about rodents, but it was suggested to me that it might be Arvicola amphibius. It is probably a bit too large for mouse or mole. I would love to hear thoughts/suggestions on what it might be.

IMG_1862.jpeg

IMG_1863.jpeg

IMG_1864.jpeg

IMG_1865.jpeg

IMG_1866.jpeg

Edited by Sebassie
  • Enjoyed 5

5 minutes ago, old bones said:

Although I do not know the fossil rodents in your area, I have to say that your suggestion looks good. I found this nice reference online which you may already have...

a-skeletal-comparison-of-selected-small-mammals1.pdf 1.93 MB · 1 download

I did not have that and I really appreciate it. Now I feel like I can say with a certain degree of certainty that it must be the water vole. 

• I found this Informative 1

You're welcome, glad I could help. I find small bones like yours very interesting and have a pretty good library of collected reference. I envy you your hunting grounds and hope to see more of your finds.

• Enjoyed 1

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

21 minutes ago, old bones said:

You're welcome, glad I could help. I find small bones like yours very interesting and have a pretty good library of collected reference. I envy you your hunting grounds and hope to see more of your finds.

I agree! Started going for the mammoth bone, now I like the tiny stuff - rodent or birds, etc. - at least as much.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

If it was from North America, I would say it most looks (shape and size) like a Muskrat (Ondatra zibethicus) so your ID is probably pretty good.