I’ve been told these blastoids appear to be Mississippian and I have some questions

SilurianSalamander

I’ve been told these blastoids appear to be Mississippian in age. That surprises me because the rocks in Dane county Wisconsin are late Cambrian - early Ordovician and the nearest Carboniferous rocks are a long ways away. I’ve done some research into the history of the buildings on the UW Madison campus where I find these fossils and they were supposedly quarried only a few miles from where they now lie.

I was also told that blastoids didn’t appear until the Carboniferous. From a quick google search I got the impression that, while they massively diversified in the Carboniferous, they first appeared during the Ordovician.

I’m just confused and curious as to how old these rocks are. They’re packed full of fossils and I often find tiny fossils that have eroded out of them and fallen to the ground to collect.

attatched are the 2 or 3 blastoids and some of the other fossils I’ve found in these rocks. Any help as to what the age could be would be wonderful!

also any IDs on some of the other fossils more specific than “gastropod” or “cephalopod” or “crinoid” are also appreciated. Thank you so much! Y’all are great.

IMG_9189.thumb.jpeg.339416b5f7b0794ff11324f37b7a765c.jpeg

IMG_9369.jpeg

IMG_9333.jpeg

IMG_9332.jpeg

IMG_9317.jpeg

IMG_9311.jpeg

IMG_9307.jpeg

IMG_9306.jpeg

IMG_9316.jpeg

IMG_9291.jpeg

IMG_9290.jpeg

IMG_9304.jpeg

IMG_9305.jpeg

IMG_9300.jpeg

IMG_9200.jpeg

IMG_9190.jpeg

IMG_9187.jpeg

IMG_9184.jpeg

IMG_9183.jpeg

Blastoids have been reported from the Ordovician of a couple of US states, but these claims are rather dubious and they definitely don't belong to the two recognized orders. They are probably cystoids and, as blastoids are thought to be derived from cystoids, may possibly be stem-group  blastoids at best. 

Blastoids are present in the Silurian but are very rare, I have a few and have seen others from the Devonian, but none look like your specimens. Blastoids only became common in the Mississippian after the extinction of the cystoids.  

Your oval, synarthrial crinoid columnals seem to be from Platycrinites, another common Early Carboniferous genus, though it also appears rarely in the Devonian and Permian. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png