Shark teeth in the Caribbean

Maart24

• New Members

Dear all,

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always been interested in fossils. I am originally from the Netherlands but I grew up in the South of France. As a kid, you could always find me in the old abandoned quarry near to our house, looking for ammonite & sea urchin fossils on a heap of old stones!

I am now 30 and I have moved to the Dutch Caribbean for work. 

Not having looked for fossils for about a decade, I decided with a friend to have a go at this old hobby of mine on a Sunday, on a spot rumored to feature loads of nice fossils.

After 2 hours of searching and not finding jack and having been chased by a pack of wild dogs we decided to return home. But on our way back, on a spot that seemed interesting, we decided to have a final look and managed to find a whole heep of shark teeth. About 40 of them!

I am very curious whether some shark teeth enthusiasts would be able to identify the species of sharks that once shedded these shining beauties! Especially the larger ones!

Could they have been from great whites?

or perhaps the Otodus sokolovi?

Friendly regards,

M.

IMG_1172.jpeg

IMG_1173.jpeg

IMG_1174.jpeg

IMG_1175.jpeg

IMG_1176.jpeg

IMG_1177.jpeg

IMG_1178.jpeg

IMG_1180.jpeg

IMG_1181.jpeg

IMG_1182.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Very interesting locality!

The teeth in the first 6 photos are from the megalodon lineage. The one with the cusplet looks like O. angustidens, aka O. subauriculatus.  Need root and presence,/absence of cusplets to ID the others, though they’re likely the same.

The smaller teeth fall into the mako /ancestral great white lineage. Similar to the larger teeth, info on the roots is needed to get more specific. There are 2 genera and several species that are possible.

Edited by hemipristis
  • I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

• New Members

Thank you hemipristis for your reply, very interesting!

If I find better fossils with roots attached I’ll do a small follow-up to better determine what their origin is.

Is/was it common for multiple species of sharks to inhabit (and therefore shed teeth) in the relative same location?

To find 20-30 million year old shark teeth, on a hill, in the middle of this island I live on in the Lesser Antilles, is indeed a very interesting location, I never would have figured haha..

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Yes, it is common to find teeth from multiple genera and/or species in the same location.

Edited by Fin Lover

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

Very very cool finds! Never heard of fossils from there before! I would say from the quality of teeth this isn’t a lag deposit so they are likely all similar ages. Thus all the large serrated teeth (the small one is carcharhinus) are O. Angustidens  as they are too thick for Carcharodon carcharias I believe. As @hemipristis said I can’t be sure on which mako species are present but I would definitely call the site Oligocene 

• I Agree 1

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

• New Members

Thank you all for your comments/reactions!

I’ll be going back soon to try to find some more complete teeth and other types of fossils. 
I will post whatever I find (complete or incomplete) in this chat.

Thanks again for your interest,

À bientôt,

M.

7 minutes ago, Maart24 said:

Thank you all for your comments/reactions!

I’ll be going back soon to try to find some more complete teeth and other types of fossils. 
I will post whatever I find (complete or incomplete) in this chat.

Thanks again for your interest,

À bientôt,

M.

Good luck! 

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

• New Members

Hello again!

A few days ago I went to have a look around the same spot to see whether I could find some better shark teeth this time!

Alas, I was not able to find fully complete and/or large teeth but I did manage to find a lot more this time.

the ones that are somewhat complete are photographed separately.

The area where I go is hilly with layers of norite/granite, limestone and alluvial soil (where the shark teeth are deposited in I think). Except for some chunks of fossilized coral, I am not able to find other types fossils there (shells, sea urchins etc.), is that common?

I was curious whether these teeth could also have come from the O. Obliquus and is it rare to find specimens larger than 2-2,5 inches?

Have a great Sunday,

Greetings,

M.

IMG_1223.jpeg

IMG_1222.jpeg

IMG_1221.jpeg

IMG_1220.jpeg

IMG_1219.jpeg

IMG_1217.jpeg

IMG_1218.jpeg

IMG_1224.jpeg

IMG_1225.jpeg