Small Predator Phalanx

Shellseeker

Out to a location that is 90% marine fossils and 10% mammal. Mammal finds tend to be Late Miocene_ early Pliocene. Most mammal finds are "distressed".  Smaller survives better than bigger and I see many fragments like the one below. At this size, almost certainly Tridactyl horse,  but species identification impossible.

IMG_3082Text.jpg.a42b089463d7a91a931feb5215efbc2e.jpg

My find of the day is a Tridactyl Horse Incisor.  This is actually in great condition although the root area is damaged. On previous hunts,  I have found 5 mm incisors of Nannippus aztecus, a very small horse. This likely from a larger cousin.

IMG_3045TridactylIncisor.thumb.jpg.fd5da128afb122c594a5e913457de4b9.jpg

The fossil I am trying to identify looks like a medial phalanx, either raptor or predator. I hope some of our members can differentiate.  I will be trying to find a Pleistocene phalanx that looks like this one, regardless of size. This one is 21 mm in length. As always, I appreciate any and all comments.   Jack

xIMG_3073ce.thumb.jpg.29be079063336a03f49ec89debe79d2c.jpgIMG_3075ce.thumb.jpg.f46c0733cdc4793fde9c4120e8319cc8.jpgIMG_3078ce.jpg.f3f1a248f25f5cf337bba62499b27b50.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

It took a while but finally found an interesting comparison...

https://www.cnn.com/2015/03/12/us/gallery/neanderthal-jewelry/index.html

Note that the Eagle (below) is 28 mm and my find 21 mm,  so I am looking for a smaller raptor than Eagle....

I like sharing the above link and also ask @Auspex to comment on my find.  

1551515872_NeanderthaljewelryCroatiaCNN1.jpg.b7a2afbacb68ddc70f38d11bdfafe67a.jpg

CroatiaBurialGround.jpg.0f0f288bcbecd32681c892186c012c7f.jpg

1188514633_NeanderthaljewelryCroatiaCNN2.jpg.6684627fb2f4d3a9dfbde87aa95d9ef6.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Brandy Cole said:

What a fascinating tiny bone!  I can't help, but I hope you find an answer.  I look forward to learning more about it.

Hard to get a lot of information.... really interesting topic

From this Research paper:  Rapid diversification of falcons (Aves: Falconidae) due to expansion of open habitats in the Late Miocene

Author links open overlay panelJérôme Fuchs a b c, Jeff A. Johnson d, David P. Mindell e f

The Falconidae is a broadly distributed family of avian predators that began to diversify during the late Oligocene–early Miocene (Fuchs et al., 2011a, Fuchs et al., 2012). Sixty-four species, divided into eleven genera, are currently recognized (Dickinson, 2003). Species range in size from sparrow-sized Microhierax falconets to the large hawk-sized members of the genus Falco (falcons). Habitat preferences vary from forests to arid savannah and steppes, and diet breadth ranges from the specialized Ibycter and Herpetotheres species feeding on Hymenoptera and snakes, respectively, to the more generalist Phalcoboenus. Three subfamilies (Herpetotherinae, Polyborinae and Falconinae) are widely recognized and their relationships and generic limits are well established (Griffiths, 1999, Griffiths et al., 2004, Fuchs et al., 2011a, Fuchs et al., 2011b, Fuchs et al., 2012, Noriega et al., 2011). The former two subfamilies are endemic to the New World, whereas the Falconinae is more widespread with a large proportion of species in the Old World.

I hope to get some answers:  for example What is the size of the Basal Phalanx for a range of current Raptors (Redtail Hawk). Osprey,  Kestrels, etc) and where would a 21 mm phalanx fit ? Maybe we get an idea of Avian raptors from the Pliocene of Florida... @digit

• I found this Informative 1

Are we certain that we've narrowed this phalanx down to bird and excluded alligator which may be more common?

Cheers.

-Ken

No, absolutely not... Usually when I have no clue whether it is mammal , avian, or reptile.  I start scanning toe bones on the internet and go for the first one that looks likely... In this case, the first one I saw was an avian raptor set of foot bones and claw.  

It does seem that is one possibility. This picture below is from a buzzard in the Argentina Pliocene. Looking at E2 and E5, it seems like a good possibility.  I looked at all the photos of Avian medial phalanx in the UF Database Catalogue, I could find photos for Eagle, Peregrine Falcon and osprey, but the photographer did not take an E5 view. 

It is interesting that these are 1st and 2nd digits on the left claw.  Note that B2 is far more robust, curved than E2 on the 2nd digit. 

I had hoped that another of our TFF Florida fossil hunters , who tend to find alligator fossils frequently might chime in , and either eliminate or confirm Alligator as a good possibility..

Also, I have sent an email to Richard Hulbert,  with the photos of this phalanx and the small Horse incisor, seeking his view... It feels like we should be able to identify to Genus,  but likely not species. 

ArgentinaBuzzard_pes_phalanx.jpg.330d9363c947d17fd0ecb90dad5a0ca1.jpg

@digit

From the far view of this photo looks like Alligator may be a possibility.  Looked around the internet for 20 minutes and almost no one provides a distal view of medial phalanx for either Alligator of Raptor...

Bones.jpg.ef056060857f2d719963ab188a4cd134.jpg

xxx

I was lucky... Got a Response from Richard Hulbert: @digit

Your phalanx is most likely from a hawk, but those from owls are similar and need detailed comparison to be sure.  Richard

Saves me a couple of hours searching the net for detailed views of Alligator toe bones. I had found a phalanx that is a dead ringer for mine and 2 mm larger on Etsy. I have this photo of the claws and can see that Hawk and Owl would likely be close in size.

product-692-main-main-big-1415040404.jpg.5b62fdee55bf5c0134555d20ccd7dab4.jpg

I learned quite a bit about these types of Avian Raptors trying to ID my find. especially how far back in time they were around and also the fact that Neanderthals made jewelry out of eagle bones 40000 years ago.

I try to learn something from every fossil I find.  My difficulty is trying to remember it all. 

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

My two cents says this bone is more likely to be avian, than reptile or predatory mammal.  This is primarily based on the strong backward protuberance on the proximal end (right in the photo below) on the upper side.  I have looked at my alligator toe bones and other pictures online, the phalanges tend to be fairly blunt on the proximal end.  Similarly, the predatory mammals tend to not have that protuberance, in fact they more likely slope the other way as their feet tend to be digitigrade (see diagram below), meaning their toes sort of need the ability to bend upwards at times (which this protuberance would hinder).  I think without a strong comparative collection however, an ID more specific than that might be pretty tough on a toe bone.  Of course, as @Shellseeker mentioned, size does narrow the choices quite a bit.  I'll see if I have any unarticulated avian toe bones that demonstrate this morphology to post.

IMG_3075ce.jpg.c39d74bae2a124ec7700c63cfd5135cf.jpg

Plantigrade : définition et explications

18 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Note that the Eagle (below) is 28 mm and my find 21 mm,

I assume the Neanderthal jewelry is NOT from North America. Pretty likely that the US had a different avifauna, so the size difference is not surprising.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

3 minutes ago, Auspex said:

I assume the Neanderthal jewelry is NOT from North America. Pretty likely that the US had a different avifauna, so the size difference is not surprising.

Thanks Chas, 

I had never heard of this New Zealand extinct Eagle prior to searching for this phalanx... but it was a large detailed photo  that had me thinking I was on the right path. I realize that this bone could have dropped much more recently, but it pleases me to think this bird bone belonged with the other Pliocene aged fossils that I was finding.

media_p-giant-eagle-claw-comparison_HaastEagle.jpg.a3897bbf6555219254d5e40c04911c9e.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

38 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

Well, I see Jack got a more precise response while I was typing.

Thank you.  I knew , one way or another that I would find out whether this was bird or reptile.  Your insights on why it is likely bird are appreciated and knowing more about it, makes the fossil more valuable to me.

• Enjoyed 2