Info. On Sites

rwsportscards

I have a question that maybe some of you know the answer to ? I've been snorkeling/diving a river and finding a lot of coral (appears a lot to be agatized) and I was wondering the age of this coral (time period Mezozoic,etc.) and what other fossils (shells,teeth,bones,etc.) I could expect to find from the same time period ? Should there be Megalodon,Auriculitis,or other shark teeth there ? What about Mammoth or Mastadon bones and teeth ? A lot of the coral is red or clear and has what I call stelagtites or oozing crystallization formations. Any help or info. would be appreciated.

You need to look at a geological map of the area to find out the age of the strata the creek flows through (if you are north of Atlanta it would be Paleozoic) The closer you get to the coast the younger the strata are generally speaking.

Guest N.AL.hunter

I don't know where you are diving and finding the coral, but lately agatized corals with those "oozing" type crystals in them have become very popular and sell for good bucks!!

Jim, it is below Atlanta. I was just wanting to know what to expect to find based on the time period of the strata. I'm a veteran snorkeler/diver this is just a new river for me. I'll post some of my fossils and artifacts in the near future. I like the sharks teeth and elephant teeth best as far as fossils go.

Maybe I'm just plain dumb but I can't get the areas on the map to become clickable/readable. The river is in south central Georgia and runs into North Florida. I've been there 3 times and haven't found any signs of bones or teeth. I only see coral,flint,sand,rock,and some shell remnants. Logic says if coral is there then sharks teeth should be there too. There is about a foot of looser hard tack on the bottom then about 8 inches of almost impenetrable hard tack before you hit limestone.

The bottom is covered in silt with green algae on everything.

So what geologic strata is at the central Ga.-Fla. line ? White limestone walls along the banks of the river.

So what geologic strata is at the central Ga.-Fla. line ? White limestone walls along the banks of the river.

More than likely it is Upper Oligocene in age possibly Flint River Formation or most likly Suwannee Limestone. I used to dig in a creek in Banks County GA back in the 80s before it was shut down. The coral was all agatized. Some of the material I have seen from the Withlacoochee River in northern FL is large and hollow with stalactite-like structures inside.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain