Did I Get A Good Deal- Ebay?

Seattleguy

This was purchased off ebay, sold as a vert of Mammuthus columbi. It is an awesome looking bone and was listed at less than lower quality ones I could find elsewhere, so I jumped at it. Per the pics I can find around the web, and measurements ( 10"w by 11.5h) it appears to me to be the real deal. I just wanted to ask those in the know; is it the real deal?

GarageSale_1275589834_2505.jpg

GarageSale_1275589829_2502.jpg

GarageSale_1275589829_2501.jpg

GarageSale_1275589829_2500.jpg

(pics from the auction listing)

It look s pretty realistic, but I could be wrong. How much was it?

“There are no easy answers' but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right.”

-Ronald Reagan

kinda hard to tell if you got a "good deal" without knowing what it was. it helps in deciding what species something might be if you know where it came from. not sure who's good enough to differentiate between proboscidean verts at the specie level...

it's a cool display piece. what it's "worth" to you is the big question. if you value it above the amount you paid, then you got a good deal.

p.s. - i suspect it is what it was sold as, especially if it came from a u.s. locality.

Looks probiscidean (probably mammoth). I would guess a very nice North Sea piece.

-PzF

It was from Us seller who stated its from Sarasota County. It was $130, probly not a great deal.. but a good one

Thanks guys for your input

It looks like a nice vertebra. It has more of the processes intact than most I have seen for sale. I don't see any restoration on it but that sort of thing can be tough to see in pics. I think you did pretty good on the deal.

Gotta be real. Look at the hair on the guy's arm who's holding it. I'll bet he's the cave-man who killed it.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

i like it. ask the guy what else he's got that he wants to get rid of. and start looking for a bigger place to live :)

It certainly looks real. Lower dorsal vert from down near the pelvis. It has attachmnet points for the ribs (the half circle hollow spots seen weel in second photo), making it a dorsal (=ribs attached)and the small low angle dorsal spine says it is from fairly far down the vert columb. As for can anyone tell the diff between Columbian and wooly by anatomy... I don't know. If its form Florida, does that alone make it columbian as wooly is a more northern species?

As for a good eeal, beyond my scope of knowledge and caring... but it is a cool bone.