A couple hours at Calvert Cliffs

Elmo

I had a couple hours to kill so I took a trip to Calvert Cliffs today. It is really picked over by this time of year. I found 7 ray plates, 3 small shark teeth(2 are broken), 3 crab claw tips, and some misc bone frags. I also brought back some matrix to go through and grabbed a little clay too. Does anyone one of breaking down the clay ever produces anything? 

IMG_2195.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

Cropped, and brightened:

IMG_2195-1.jpg

IMG_2195-2 .jpg

IMG_2195-3.jpg

Nice finds!  :)

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Cropped, and brightened:

IMG_2195-1.jpg

IMG_2195-2 .jpg

IMG_2195-3.jpg

Nice finds!  :)

Thank you for the help. I’ve got to get a camera instead of using my phone. 

16 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Thank you for the help. I’ve got to get a camera instead of using my phone. 

Most phone cameras are ok to use. I use mine all the time. It’s the lighting that is hard to get right! ;) 

Nice finds! Calvert Cliffs is on my bucket list of places to visit.  Thanks for sharing. :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I’ve heard that bucketed clay from similar deposits around the area does produce fossils. I’d assume it’s definitely possible, though not guaranteed. Which beach did you obtain the clay? Some are probably more likely than others if the cliffs are closer.

Edited by patelinho7

12 minutes ago, patelinho7 said:

I’ve heard that bucketed clay from similar deposits around the area does produce fossils. I’d assume it’s definitely possible, though not guaranteed. Which beach did you obtain the clay? Some are probably more likely than others if the cliffs are closer.

I was at Calvert Cliffs State Park, the cliffs are right there. I’ll update if I find anything. 

I've found the clay can be super hit or miss depending on even the exact location on a particular beach. I often bring back some matrix from my trips down to MD to scratch my winter-fossil-huntin-itch and have not had much luck with anything on the cliffs-side. The potomac side has been more generous to me

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, patelinho7 said:

Yes I agree the Potomac is better for clay

Any particular place on the Patomic for the clay? I’ve hit purse a few times and the cliffs seems to be more like dirt than clay. 

This may be a good place to ask this question.  I gather that Bayfront Park (= Brownie's Beach) is still closed to non-residents of Chesapeake Beach, at least until 2025, and the mayor has specifically mentioned fossil collectors as "undesirables" or "those people" (as in, "we don't want any of those people around here").  My question is, is there any place close enough to put a kayak in the water and access the shore outside the park but in the area of the cliffs?  Also, has there been a lot of rain (enough to cause cliff falls) this year?  I have a meeting in Washington in November and I'd like to get out for a day in the field.  I'll probably go to Purse/Blue Bluffs/Liverpool Point, but if there is a chance to get at some of the Miocene that would be nice too.

Don

7 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

This may be a good place to ask this question.  I gather that Bayfront Park (= Brownie's Beach) is still closed to non-residents of Chesapeake Beach, at least until 2025, and the mayor has specifically mentioned fossil collectors as "undesirables" or "those people" (as in, "we don't want any of those people around here").  My question is, is there any place close enough to put a kayak in the water and access the shore outside the park but in the area of the cliffs?  Also, has there been a lot of rain (enough to cause cliff falls) this year?  I have a meeting in Washington in November and I'd like to get out for a day in the field.  I'll probably go to Purse/Blue Bluffs/Liverpool Point, but if there is a chance to get at some of the Miocene that would be nice too.

Don

Let me DM you, I've done a lot of research on the topic as one of "those people" that finds this particular Maryland mentality frankly disgusting. Thankfully tide laws allow us to be crafty when it comes to thinks like jetskis and kayaks

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Vae70 said:

... Thankfully tide laws allow us to be crafty when it comes to thinks like jetskis and kayaks

In Maryland, yes.  Not so in Virginia unfortunately.   There the property line is at the low low water mark.  I recall that historically that relates to oyster fisheries, people didn't want their oyster beds between the tidal range where anyone could come and grab them.

Don

Don,

There is a boat ramp in Chesapeake Beach, about a !/2 mile north of Bayside Park (Brownies), that you could launch from. I like to use willyweather.com for tide charts, also.