Pyrite/oxidized bone - Mosasaur? Central Texas

TSCannon

Hi all - found this in Central Texas. It was a surface find in an area mapped as Ozan formation. Thought it was an old railroad spike at first. Is there enough left of it to give a general ID? Kind of looks like some mosasaur vert pics I’ve seen. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_8784.jpeg

IMG_8799.jpeg

IMG_8814.jpeg

IMG_8822.jpeg

IMG_8767.jpeg

IMG_8760.jpeg

IMG_8663.jpeg

IMG_8686.jpeg

IMG_8698.jpeg

IMG_8699.jpeg

IMG_8708.jpeg

IMG_8719.jpeg

IMG_8775.jpeg

IMG_8741.jpeg

IMG_8730.jpeg

IMG_8798.jpeg

IMG_8780.jpeg

IMG_8782.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Looks like one. A lot of bones that come out of the Ozan are covered in pyrite. Yours is especially the case!

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 2

I agree. The procoelous nature of this specimen (hollow at the front, bulbous at the back) marks this as a mosasaur vertebrae. Those, unfortunately, are undiagnostic as to species most of the time, however, although it is possible to identify this as either a lumbar or a pygal based on the relative length of it. Nice find! :D

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

The Ozan Formation has Tylosaurine Mosasaurs, so it's probably one of those. I have heard about Globidens being found there but I'm not entirely sure how accurate that claim is. Cool find!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Psittacosaur9 said:

The Ozan Formation has Tylosaurine Mosasaurs, so it's probably one of those. I have heard about Globidens being found there but I'm not entirely sure how accurate that claim is. Cool find!

Tylosaurine mosasaurs are indeed one of the more common mosasaurids from the Ozan Formation. However, multiple other subfamilies and genera occur as well, such as indeed Globidens spp., plioplatecarpinae and mosasaurini (including Clidastes sp.).

1762668792_RootedOzanGlobidensalabamaensistoothinjaw03.thumb.jpg.b6032fccfd961b735a7649d243e51684.jpg

Globidens alabamaensis, Ozan Formation, North Sulphur River

5f6a658912bb8_Insitu.jpg.a3c8959d80ab1a597b63c9e7678b869b.jpg

@Titan's Clidastes sp. jaws, Ozan Formation (Lower Taylor Marl), North Sulphur River, North Texas (source)

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

7 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Tylosaurine mosasaurs are indeed one of the more common mosasaurids from the Ozan Formation. However, multiple other subfamilies and genera occur as well, such as indeed Globidens spp., plioplatecarpinae and mosasaurini (including Clidastes sp.).

1762668792_RootedOzanGlobidensalabamaensistoothinjaw03.thumb.jpg.b6032fccfd961b735a7649d243e51684.jpg

Globidens alabamaensis, Ozan Formation, North Sulphur River

5f6a658912bb8_Insitu.jpg.a3c8959d80ab1a597b63c9e7678b869b.jpg

@Titan's Clidastes sp. jaws, Ozan Formation (Lower Taylor Marl), North Sulphur River, North Texas (source)

Wow, thanks for the clarification!