Pachycephalosaurus Skull Cap?

musicnfossils

With comparison to adult Pachycephalosaur domes (picture from https://dinomuseum.ca/2020/02/the-real-pachycephalosaurus), it definitely looks like a strong possibility that you have a Pachycephalosaur fossil there, although I'd like the opinion of at least a couple of other forum members to be sure.  Also, even if it isn't a dome, you definitely do have a bone of some kind. If it is a dome, I'd recommend you donate it to a museum as they are quite rare. Also, in what formation did you find it?

The Real Pachycephalosaurus - Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum

Edited by Psittacosaur9
  • I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Psittacosaur9 said:

With comparison to adult Pachycephalosaur domes (picture from https://dinomuseum.ca/2020/02/the-real-pachycephalosaurus), it definitely looks like a strong possibility that you have a Pachycephalosaur fossil there, although I'd like the opinion of at least a couple of other forum members to be sure.  Also, even if it isn't a dome, you definitely do have a bone of some kind. If it is a dome, I'd recommend you donate it to a museum as they are quite rare. Also, in what formation did you find it?

The Real Pachycephalosaurus - Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum

I seen that photo in the article you mentioned when I was looking up pics to compare, and this is from the same Formation Dinosaur park fm. The bone structure as well as the little dents in the top are all there on my specimen so that led me to believe that’s what I have. 

not just any ole pachy dome, but a very youthful individual.  That is a great find.  And indeed rare and possibly scientifically intriguing.  It would be a great donation to one of your local paleo museums.

• I Agree 2

That is a terrific find! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

30 minutes ago, musicnfossils said:

I’ll have to send an email to the Tyrrell one of these days. Thanks y’all. 

I'm sure they'd appreciate the contact--looks like this could be a SIS (Scentifically Important Specimen). Very cool find!

Cheers.

-Ken

Just now, digit said:

I'm sure they'd appreciate the contact--looks like this could be a SIS (Scentifically Important Specimen). Very cool find!

Cheers.

-Ken

my poor wife, she’s so sad because she was the one who found it and is in love with it. But I did shoot Caleb Brown at the Tyrrell a message about it so we’ll see what happens. Maybe they can make us a cast to remember the little guy haha 

They are getting much better at 3D scanning and then 3D printing copies of fossils. Used to be the museum had to rely on the one person who was good at casting copies out of resin. It was usually a sloppy and time-consuming process and so it was usually restricted to a smaller number of very significant finds. The technology has made this process much simpler, cleaner, and less time consuming so nice 3D copies (often spectacularly painted to match the original) are now getting easier to produce which can be great news for those considering a donation of a SIS but who still would like to hang onto something to show friends/family. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 4

2 hours ago, musicnfossils said:

my poor wife, she’s so sad because she was the one who found it and is in love with it. But I did shoot Caleb Brown at the Tyrrell a message about it so we’ll see what happens. Maybe they can make us a cast to remember the little guy haha 

Just let her know that the finder information stays with the fossil wherever it may be housed or studied.  So her name would be permanently associated with it.

Also, I'm sure the RT would love for you to show them EXACTLY where it was found.  Could be more of it that hasnt weathered out yet.

Edited by hadrosauridae
  • I Agree 2

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

8 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Just let her know that the finder information stays with the fossil wherever it may be housed or studied.  So her name would be permanently associated with it.

Also, I'm sure the RT would love for you to show them EXACTLY where it was found.  Could be more of it that hasnt weathered out yet.

my wife and I got separated for quite a while during the hike and she didn’t know it was significant. She gathered a few things to show me and she tried to figure out exactly where it was but couldn’t remember. She thought it was just a random bone chunk that looked interesting. 

23 minutes ago, musicnfossils said:

my wife and I got separated for quite a while during the hike and she didn’t know it was significant. She gathered a few things to show me and she tried to figure out exactly where it was but couldn’t remember. She thought it was just a random bone chunk that looked interesting. 

Honestly, don't let her feel too bad.  These things are the most common y found pieces of pachys, and are rarely ever associated with much more of the animal.  But this one is a baby!!!  That's the cool part.  

• Enjoyed 1

Man I’m so sad it’s so rare, I wish I could keep it! But I guess if they were common the find wouldn’t be as cool. 

• I Agree 2

4 hours ago, digit said:

Cheers.

-Ken

And à very good candidate for the "fossil of the month" competition.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

8 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

And à very good candidate for the "fossil of the month" competition.

already added haha 

:JC_doubleup:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

15 hours ago, musicnfossils said:

I’ll have to send an email to the Tyrrell one of these days. Thanks y’all. 

11 hours ago, musicnfossils said:

Man I’m so sad it’s so rare, I wish I could keep it! But I guess if they were common the find wouldn’t be as cool. 

Great job with the find! Hope the Tyrell accepts it; I've never been to Canada but if I go I absolutely want to visit that place.

Also, I'm absolutely voting this Find of the Month if I can figure out how the voting on this website actually works, lol.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1