Shellseeker

The Peace River is coming down,  but not fast enough. I went out thinking about deep water, possible rain, and hopes to find some really nice small Shark teeth,  Tigers, Lemons, Hemis, etc,,,  I found all of those,  but other goodies also...

Here is a "group" photo..

IMG_3232.thumb.JPG.211c7078529f6686650f6e9a82c155e3.JPG

and some of the goodies...

IMG_3243.thumb.JPG.dd771300ebc3050b891d5178f9cd52ed.JPG

The 65 mm Meg came out of the clay like this..MegClay.jpg.fce28bc8af79e8978c50d9791ea51c44.jpg

15 minutes later,  we had a color change Silver and yellow to Steal Grey and a light brown

Megalodon60mmSbyS.thumb.jpg.7c10981440adfb613a335d8c577e44ba.jpg

then a 53 mm tip of a Ray barb

RayBarb53mm.thumb.jpg.8f2f28a0e85d0cbba2c841a6e09af9d7.jpg

A couple of what I think are dolphin teeth,,  here is a photo of the smaller one...  I will be trying to ID this tooth.

IMG_3234ceDolphinToothText.thumb.jpg.bd09b7fe03fc562e52778f13b5b4dffa.jpg

Is this just a juvenile version of Goniodelphis hudsoni ??

th-3533555358.jpg.2f4fafebb4abf6281f949acd88a90e8e.jpgwhale_goniodelphis_B.jpg.77bd72b525cfc721163d127cc0ae9140.jpg

This fish vert is only 23 mm,  and I do not have high hopes of Identification but sometimes TFF magic just happens...

FishVert23mm2.thumb.jpg.659a7de970791510ba435bcd32cde19e.jpg

Finally ,  a Mako... Is this hastalis?

IMG_3231text.thumb.jpg.266e7905053993b067d54a668dffb2ad.jpg

Great day, lots of finds,,, some interesting... Comments Welcome   Jack

• Enjoyed 14

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

11 minutes ago, Newbie_1971 said:

You ever go to Aurora?

No.  I have hunted fossils intensively in Southwest Florida for 15 years... almost like a day job. I could likely hunt locations in Florida for the next 100 years if I lived that long. Through TFF,  I have vicariously hunted around the world,  but in actuality,  I have hunting 10 times outside of Florida, -- Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, California....  I had to focus narrowly... 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds and report, Jack.  :)

Thanks for posting them.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Looks like you had a blast.  Keep it up Jack.

RB

Thanks. I did. The primary nuisance were the mosquitos.  I used a head cowl that keeps them off my ears and neck. So they shoot toward nose and eyelids. Steve was fortunate in finding 3 Megs and a number of larger upper Hemis. Sometimes he should "win" our personal competition for best of the day.

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Fin Lover said:

Beautiful hastalis!

Was not quite sure ,  sometimes I confuse these with Isurus desori.

hastalis.JPG.ff95974c060ce3d67236e607e54fc532.JPG

50 minutes ago, Jesamine said:

Wow. I've never found any teeth. In fact, I've not found as many fossils as I first thought before joining here. :)

Some thoughts... We live in very different locations.. Fossils that are easy for me to find might be impossible for you and vice versa.  In the time of dinosaurs , Florida was ocean floor.. so I can not find Dinosaur fossils,  there are no Ammonite fossils either. 

Net working,,, you need to discover what is available for you to find in the UK.  Search the internet for Fossil references in Derbyshire... If there are any , some one wrote about them. Connect with others who have a Fossil Interest in your area... We have local fossil clubs,  I joined 5 of them as I started. If possible connect with local Universities.  I volunteered to help them dig and/or find fossils.

Expand your horizons. Every time I go fossil hunting, I drive 400 Km to get there and back home. In the past 15 years, I have gone 1000s of times. Think about taking Fossil vacations to places that have huge numbers of fossils. 

These are all good practices, but I have been incredibly fortunate.... I came here for the seafood and seashells... and discovered that you can not go anywhere in Florida without discovering some type of fossils... 

2 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Some thoughts... We live in very different locations.. Fossils that are easy for me to find might be impossible for you and vice versa.  In the time of dinosaurs , Florida was ocean floor.. so I can not find Dinosaur fossils,  there are no Ammonite fossils either. 

Net working,,, you need to discover what is available for you to find in the UK.  Search the internet for Fossil references in Derbyshire... If there are any , some one wrote about them. Connect with others who have a Fossil Interest in your area... We have local fossil clubs,  I joined 5 of them as I started. If possible connect with local Universities.  I volunteered to help them dig and/or find fossils.

Expand your horizons. Every time I go fossil hunting, I drive 400 Km to get there and back home. In the past 15 years, I have gone 1000s of times. Think about taking Fossil vacations to places that have huge numbers of fossils. 

These are all good practices, but I have been incredibly fortunate.... I came here for the seafood and seashells... and discovered that you can not go anywhere in Florida without discovering some type of fossils... 

Thanks. I do get around the country, but I keep picking up non-fossils that pretend to be fossils. Thanks to the people on this forum, I am slowly identifying what is and isn't a fossil and hopefully this will help my eye with those rocks to ignore and those to home in on when I'm searching. It has been a massive help in just the few weeks that I've been on here.

Sounds like nice weather where you are too. Jes.

31 minutes ago, Jesamine said:

Sounds like nice weather where you are too. Jes.

Yes, June thru September,  Heavy rains. some hurricanes,  hot ---upwards of 32 degrees Celsius,  Rest of the year .  little rain, milder 21 degrees Celsius.

I generally try to hunt fossils year round, although it is more difficult in the summer when most rivers and streams are just too deep.

Jack, you haven't tried to hunt in Maryland when you visit your daughter? I'd be honored to take you down to the Aquia formation on the Potomac next time your up. 

1 hour ago, automech said:

Jack, you haven't tried to hunt in Maryland when you visit your daughter? I'd be honored to take you down to the Aquia formation on the Potomac next time your up. 

Thanks for the offer.  I spent Father's Day last June Visiting the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History,  the Vietnam Black Wall, Baltimore Aquarium, but I ran out of days and had to cancel the hunting trip.  Also found out that, although she loves the fossils I sent for Birthdays and Holidays, I did not manage to pass on the hunting gene.

I will be staying with Crystal again in 2024,  and I'll add in an extra day for fossil hunting.  Will PM you when we settle on dates, usually happens in April.   Jack

My oldest son doesn't have the gene anymore, either. But, my son-in-law, loves to come out when they visit. That's great! will look forward to it.