Is dremel 3000 good for fossil preparation?

Alvaro

The Dremel 290 is the one you would use for fossil preparation. It is an engraver which vibrates the stylus to chip away the fossil matrix. The Dremel 3000 is a rotary tool which grinds away the matrix and will slip or grab and go sideways quickly right into the fossil. The rotary Dremel is good for finishing the matrix around a fossil  to smooth out the matrix. 

Here's a link to videos using the Dremel 290 for prepping. In the USA it costs around $25 USD. I got mine off of online auction site for close to that...or maybe $19 USD, I'm not sure. 

At the top of Fossil Preparation are several threads about building your tool kit from hammers ( small to large ) and chisels ( also small to large ) depending on the job.

Great Ammonites you found. Be patient and go slow. If you have some broken ammonites, they're good to practice on. You'll need lots of practice and you will get better with each fossil. But some will get messed up or crumble or break almost all by themselves. This happens to everyone. Use super glue to repair them or fill cracks as you go during preparation....hope this helps,

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dremel+290+fossil+prep

Edited by SPrice
  • I found this Informative 2