pierre liew

Found this ABSOLUTE GIANT of a clam or bivalve around flagstaff point wollongong, nsw and it has another medium sized bivalve in it. if anyone knows what it is that would be awesome.

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 10.41.10 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 10.41.30 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 10.41.37 pm.png

• Enjoyed 5

I know some of the inoceramids grew pretty large, but this looks more like it's from the Pleuromyidae to me.

Nice find. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I know some of the inoceramids grew pretty large, but this looks more like it's from the Pleuromyidae to me.

Nice find. :)

inoceramids tend to be flatter however

Just a style tip: it is preferable to keep the titles shorter and leave the details in the body of the topic post. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Huge bivalve

Clamus gigantius    :)    Just kidding.  One awesome clam if you ask me

RB

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Clamus gigantius    :)    Just kidding.  One awesome clam if you ask me

RB

lol agreed

I just reasearched the geology of the area and found out that the sediments range from the Permian into the Triassic, so Plagiostoma is another possibility.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I just reasearched the geology of the area and found out that the sediments range from the Permian into the Triassic, so Plagiostoma is another possibility.

plagiostoma is more of a roundish bivalve, the one i has is more long but still very interesting

• I Agree 1

I agree. I have some Plagiostoma specimens and they don't look like this fossil.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Pleuromya it is then unless someone else thinks of something better, although I do have a Pholadomya giganteum in my collection which looks somewhat similar to this one. Not all of this genus are so roundish. It's from the Early Jurassic, but they do range back to the Triassic. It's 11cm. long.

L316a.1.thumb.jpg.77b03a26edb4dd3fd36c9cfefbeaebe8.jpg

L316b.thumb.jpg.b76638867b976a8aeb217cf3169a54ee.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

22 hours ago, pierre liew said:

Found this ABSOLUTE GIANT

That is a whopper! Wow! :default_faint:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

That is a whopper! Wow! :default_faint:

funny story about this giant bivalve, i was about to leave the fossil beach with my friends and i look down to see a rock with stripes and i pick it up and realise its just a massive fossil and i was astounded. so were my friends

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Pleuromya it is then unless someone else thinks of something better, although I do have a Pholadomya giganteum in my collection which looks somewhat similar to this one. Not all of this genus are so roundish. It's from the Early Jurassic, but they do range back to the Triassic. It's 11cm. long.

if you look close to my fossil were the shell starts and like curves the there are very visible lines and ive found multiple fossils of this clam and they all have the very identifiable lines where the muscle of the bivalve would be and your shell fossil doesnt seem to have it

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

but they do look similar

also very cool fossil

11 minutes ago, pierre liew said:

but they do look similar

also very cool fossil

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't find any photos of this species in the Triassic, but it could be possible that it has similar "lines" to yours. Even within a species there can be quite a variability in the ornamentation. At least the shape is similar.

everyone i just found out something really cool

these 2 fossil were found 2 months apart from each other and i thought the other smaller fossil was of a plant then i realised it was the lower shell of the huge bivalve and they still fit perfectly

23ae10fb-f10b-457d-a999-b12d87c1db3e.jpg

• Enjoyed 2