Permian Update

dinodigger

Hi everyone, I've finally updated my photo-stream, and the most recent field-work pics are up. I've added the link below. This past few weeks we've seen a great deal of advancement in Permian amphibian paleo. Our newest Diplocaulus, Catherine, is a grand specimen. Typically, we associate the number 100 with the temperatures we endure in the field, but I'm proud to say that this is the percentage of completeness this skeleton possesses. The articulation is simply outstanding. I've dug a lot of skeletons, but this ones ranks high on my list of ones to remember. The Permian is truly a remarkable place. The ecosystem we are witnessing is home to some amazing creatures. At this time, the equator is not far away; it actually runs through what would be Boston. We have two intense rainy seasons, and a inhospitable, unforgiving dry season. Our friendly amphibians, many benthic bottom-dwellers, are burying themselves in the mud when the rains stop. When the rains fail to return, they become fossilized in their burrows. We see this now with many many complete amphibians, including the great Diplocaulus and Trimerorhachis. The fox-faced finback Secodontosaurus, last uncovered more than Sixty years ago, has awoken for us. We are finding more Seco remains than ever before, and light is being shed on this great animal. Dimetrodon continues to populate this watering hole, and continues to outnumber the herbivores 20 to one. As Bakker often says, "Thats just wrong."

Anyhoo, more on that topic later. Hope you enjoy the pics. Just click the link below, and click on the photos for full descriptions. I also noticed that my link is in a new format. If you click on the photo, it stops the slide show. If you want to read the full descriptions, click on the link that says "open photo in new window". It will take you to my Flickr photo page with the full texts.

Thanks again,

Chris Flis

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45026327@N05/sets/72157624267922044/

Edited by dinodigger

Hi everyone, I've finally updated my photo-stream, and the most recent field-work pics are up. I've added the link below. This past few weeks we've seen a great deal of advancement in Permian amphibian paleo. Our newest Diplocaulus, Catherine, is a grand specimen. Typically, we associate the number 100 with the temperatures we endure in the field, but I'm proud to say that this is the percentage of completeness this skeleton possesses. The articulation is simply outstanding. I've dug a lot of skeletons, but this ones ranks high on my list of ones to remember. The Permian is truly a remarkable place. The ecosystem we are witnessing is home to some amazing creatures. At this time, the equator is not far away; it actually runs through what would be Boston. We have two intense rainy seasons, and a inhospitable, unforgiving dry season. Our friendly amphibians, many benthic bottom-dwellers, are burying themselves in the mud when the rains stop. When the rains fail to return, they become fossilized in their burrows. We see this now with many many complete amphibians, including the great Diplocaulus and Trimerorhachis. The fox-faced finback Secodontosaurus, last uncovered more than Sixty years ago, has awoken for us. We are finding more Seco remains than ever before, and light is being shed on this great animal. Dimetrodon continues to populate this watering hole, and continues to outnumber the herbivores 20 to one. As Bakker often says, "Thats just wrong."

Anyhoo, more on that topic later. Hope you enjoy the pics. Just click the link below, and click on the photos for full descriptions. I also noticed that my link is in a new format. If you click on the photo, it stops the slide show. If you want to read the full descriptions, click on the link that says "open photo in new window". It will take you to my Flickr photo page with the full texts.

Thanks again,

Chris Flis

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45026327@N05/sets/72157624267922044/

Thanks to share those wonderful discoveries :)))

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Looks like you hit the jackpot on your dig. I love the collared lizard, they are so cool looking.

Chris,

Awesome finds - Great photos!:wub:

Excellent report.

Thanks for keeping us posted. B)

Bakker's drawings are so cool!

Continued success to you all.

Keep safe, and hydrated. ;)

Thanks again!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Chris,

This whole project is so exciting that I can hardly stand it!

I can't thank you enough for putting the time and effort into sharing it with all of us.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Chris,

This whole project is so exciting that I can hardly stand it!

I can't thank you enough for putting the time and effort into sharing it with all of us.

Thanks so much for the comments. This project has been a great one, one for the books. It has had its roller-coaster ride of moments good and bad, all of which we look back on, and after we patch our bruises we get a good chuckle. But the important thing is the paleo community. A fossil is only spectacular and important when it is shared with the rest of the world. And the amateur and professional alike can both appreciate the amazing list of life that took care of this planet long before we arrived. For that split second of unity, we are all 10 years old again. So share with you I will for as long as I have that bug to collect the ancient.

CF

Edited by dinodigger