a cool story about a recent trip (karma)

Newbie_1971

I have been busy working, and fossil hunting, and haven't been sharing as much as I  would like here on your forum, but have a story to share. Yesterday I  arrived to hunt for trilobites early in the morning.  I  started off hitting a couple areas that I  had noticed the day before. I  wasn't there long and heard voices approaching.  I  looked up and a man was almost on top of me. I  stood up and we started a conversation,  he asked if he was encroaching on me. I  told him not at all and he was more than welcome to hunt alongside of me. He then told me that he was a professor and he was doing research with a student. He asked me what all that I had found and I  explained to him that I  was new to fossil hunting and that I didn't know most of what I  was finding, but was mainly after trilobites. He then offered to ID what I  had collected if I would show him. At that point I  had only kept a few brachiopods.  He explained what they were and started to tell me of areas to go to for trilobites,  as well as other fossils.  We of course talk about trilobites and I tell him of two people that I  had ran into that had both told me that they had found isotelus rollers there. One person from Wisconsin that found a baseball sized specimen, which he had shown me photos . Another was a hoosier that showed me photos of a smaller roller that he had found there. You could tell by the look on the professor's face that he thought that both people were pulling my leg. He then told me that he had been bringing his students there for many years and one of the things that he would offer them, is that if any of them would produce a full isotelus he would reward them. His student approached I thanked him, and told them that I  wished them luck and  started climbing a super steep loose rock incline to get up higher to what looked to be good to me for trilobites. Part of the way up I started seeing micro areas of interest and started bouncing from one to another on my way. Next thing I know I spot something that catches my eye. Bend over and pick it up, and about fall over. It is an isotelus! I  stand there in amazement and inspect the small trilobite.  Normally  I  would continue hunting. But I  knew he was still there with his student so I  head his way. I  shout down to him and say, "you will never believe what I  just found". He asks what, and I  tell him. Him and his student quickly scale the hill and inspect the isotelus. He then says, "I would have to pay up for that one". There is more to the story than this. But I  just think that there was something to finding that fossil. Had they not shown up, I would have not scaled the hill via the route I did. The fact that he didn't seem to believe that the other's had found the isotelus. The fact that I spotted it amongst the rubble that I did. I  don't know, it just seems strange to me. Is Karma real?

• Enjoyed 8

11 minutes ago, Newbie_1971 said:

haven't been sharing as much as I  would like here on your forum, but have a story to share.

Great story, and great find! Congratulations.  I do, however, feel the need to edit your statement, "here on your forum..."  This is your forum too, and I've very much enjoyed all your recent posts. Thanks for sharing your adventures.  I can confidently predict many more rewarding finds in your future.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I can't say that I believe in karma...have seen too many people (both good and bad) get the opposite of what they deserve.  But, congratulations on your find!  :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

Serendipity, perhaps.

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 11/5/2023 at 8:55 PM, Newbie_1971 said:

Is Karma real?

She sure is; I went to high school with her.  She was in my geometry class.  <_<

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3