List Of Fossil Sites

Paleofreak

I was wondering if there was an extensive list of fossil sites available online. I have seen http://donaldkenney.110mb.com/ but have questioned its reliability. I personally use Google Earth when looking for and cataloging fossil sites I've visited and was wondering if anyone else does this.

The two sites are pretty similar - one should always use caution, however.

Information in both appears to be outdated, and taken from older sources,

so many of the sites are no longer extant, or are off limits in one way, or another.

I've used Google Earth and my GPS to keep track of my sites, as well.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The two sites are pretty similar - one should always use caution, however.

Information in both appears to be outdated, and taken from older sources,

so many of the sites are no longer extant, or are off limits in one way, or another.

I've used Google Earth and my GPS to keep track of my sites, as well.

Yep, just realized they are the same. For Tennessee its still pretty accurate, but I always "scout" an area ahead of time to see if its workable or not.

I just checked out the donald kenney site... the Wyoming listings are indeed a great list of places fossil shave been found. Many of them report vertebrate fossils are on BLM land... better have a permit, and many more are on private land that is off limits and/or leased to some or other fossil collectors. GET PERMISSION ON PRIVATE LAND. And I only got as far as the E listing (they're alphabeltical).

The sites I see mentioned (in my hunting area) in that list seem to be complied from old geologic literature and may or may not be there anymore. I think you'd have better luck getting a geologic map and searching online satellite pics for exposures.

Edited by LanceHall

I use Google Earth a lot but its hard to convince my parents to go to a spot that "I know should have fossils" especially when I try to do something during a road trip.