Upstate New York Sites?

Scylla

Taking the kids up to Herkimer for a few days, but how many perfect, double terminated, xtals can they really carry? So do any of you have any advice on where to collect fossils up there? We've found a lot of small brachiopods, crinoid fragments, etc. I think arthropods (trilobites, eurypterids) would be a big hit with them.

not sure if you can get into this place for a day, www.langsfossils.com . Probably cost a few $$$?

B.A. in Geology Augustana College 2003

Full time taxidermist since 2004

More than a few $$$!!!dry.gif It is less than he charges online,...but still.... :wacko:

You dig/split/find your own fossils, then pay him for them!!! :blink: I understand the concept, but most pay to dig places charge a certain amount , and you keep what you find.

For eurypterids you need to Google the Fiddler's Green Formation, I think it outcrops in Middleburgh? There is supposedly a site where you can collect them somewherein that area

Try Little Falls - You can search this forum and you may get some hits. The FossilGuy website has some info on Little Falls as well.

Also, along the river that runs alongside Rte. 28 near the KOA campground, there are various fisherman's pulloffs that have some outcrops of Ordovician shale - you can find Triarthrus Trilobite pieces. Cephalons and Pygidiums mostly.

Also, ...I found one of my best Herkimer diamonds in the river! Lots of float from the mines across the Street at the KOA, ... as well as finding a cool little Trilo in a hard round River rock, that I had broken with a small 3 lb sledge just for ha ha's!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I went to a good Ordovician site just south of Little Falls. Loads of Triarthrus trilobites and I found three radial graptolite clusters

From I-90:

Get off at exit 29-A

At the end of the off ramp turn right onto 5S

Follow 5S to county route 102, if you cross the steel bridge you've gone too far

Park on the right side of the road before the guard rail for the bridge

walk down to the stream

the shale breaks on nice planes so it is nice to have a flat chisel and.

Good luck

Paleofreak,

Welcome (back) to the forum!

Good info - thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Taking the kids up to Herkimer for a few days, but how many perfect, double terminated, xtals can they really carry? So do any of you have any advice on where to collect fossils up there? We've found a lot of small brachiopods, crinoid fragments, etc. I think arthropods (trilobites, eurypterids) would be a big hit with them.

Many road cuts along US 20 are fossiliferous. Especially from Herkimer County east. A really great one is just west of Leesville. It exposes the Kalkberg Limestone (Lower Devonian) and has a wide variety of fossils. Trilobite parts are common, whole ones not so much. But the brachiopods, corals, bryozoans & crinoid material are plentiful.

Edited by erose

More than a few $$$!!!dry.gif It is less than he charges online,...but still.... :wacko:

You dig/split/find your own fossils, then pay him for them!!! :blink: I understand the concept, but most pay to dig places charge a certain amount , and you keep what you find.

For eurypterids you need to Google the Fiddler's Green Formation, I think it outcrops in Middleburgh? There is supposedly a site where you can collect them somewherein that area

Try Little Falls - You can search this forum and you may get some hits. The FossilGuy website has some info on Little Falls as well.

Also, along the river that runs alongside Rte. 28 near the KOA campground, there are various fisherman's pulloffs that have some outcrops of Ordovician shale - you can find Triarthrus Trilobite pieces. Cephalons and Pygidiums mostly.

Also, ...I found one of my best Herkimer diamonds in the river! Lots of float from the mines across the Street at the KOA, ... as well as finding a cool little Trilo in a hard round River rock, that I had broken with a small 3 lb sledge just for ha ha's!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Regards,

lol, i guess my link would be a last resort option :wacko:

B.A. in Geology Augustana College 2003

Full time taxidermist since 2004

Thank you all so much. I'll try those sites and let you know what we find. BTW my biggest two herks were also from the stream, I guess the water does all the work for you.