JorisVV

Hello everyone! Here is a nice raptor tooth from Montana, JRF Hill county. 

Another collector and I were wondering what the species is likely. Especially with those ridges.

Back then bought as a Saurornitholestes.

20230922_180627.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

It fits the look based on this post but you'll need more for an ID.  Take a read. Measurements are key for ID's.

• I Agree 1

*Frank*

I agree, would need the measurements and closer pictures of the serrations to be sure, but the three ridges on it make me think Saurornitholestes premaxillary tooth.

It does not look like a Saurorniothelestes tooth to me.  The ridges look much more like that of Acheroraptor.  How confident are you the tooth is from Judith River?  Hill county is covered by 68% of the Judith River Formation and <0.1% of Hell Creek Formation.  Is it possible your tooth came from the very small portion of Hell Creek Formation in Hill County?

Does it have mesial serrations? I believe the premax/Zapsalis teeth of Saurornitholestes lack mesial serration.

However, as @Runner64 mentioned, it could still potentially have some possibility of Hell Creek, which would make it Acheroraptor. It should also be known that Acheroraptor also likely has "Zapsalis" teeth like many, or possibly all species of Saurornitholestinae and Velociraptorinae.

Another possibility is that the provenance was incorrect and it got mixed up with another specimen.

8 minutes ago, JorisVV said:

Got the formations mixed up with some other fossils! Its from Hell Creek indeed, Garfield County.

Cool. It's a nice Acheroraptor then.

On a side note, it isn't unusual to see older Hell Creek dromaeosaurid teeth still being labeled as Saurornitholestes as that was a common ID back before Acheroraptor was described.

4 hours ago, Kikokuryu said:

Cool. It's a nice Acheroraptor then.

On a side note, it isn't unusual to see older Hell Creek dromaeosaurid teeth still being labeled as Saurornitholestes as that was a common ID back before Acheroraptor was described.

No i mixed names and stuff up with another tooth