question on matrix

fossil35

With the trilobites in matrix from utah do you need to do anything to them before storing? Will they fall apart or anything if just left as is? I did try a glue on a very very small trilobite that looked cool but after it dried looks bad now and can't see trilobite well (wish didn't after). Wouldn't want to mess up any others.

Don't is my advice. From my experience with Utah trilobites they are do pretty well with no treatment.

• I Agree 1

Cheers!

James

They don't need any kind of preservative. As long as they are not getting wet, or exposed to weather, they should be fine.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Ok, thank you guys for advise. The little one thought was just a circle piece, like you see a lot but under loop could see was a whole trilobite like 1mm or so. Was afraid was going to fall off so tried a thin glue, now just looks bad and can't see under loop now. I regret not asking first now. :duh2:

Good to know the rest should be fine left alone.

Starbond Is a Cyanoacrylate ( super glue). I’d try wiping it with a cotton ball soaked in acetone or one of the super glue debonders….

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, fossil35 said:

Glue was Starbond thin.

42 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Starbond Is a Cyanoacrylate ( super glue). I’d try wiping it with a cotton ball soaked in acetone or one of the super glue debonders….

You will need to keep the glue wet with acetone for several minutes before it starts to soften.  It will not dissolve it, but will soften it so that you can scrape or wipe it off.  It may take a few treatments.  As soon as the acetone evaporates the glue will harden again.

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/