Ostrea? Gryphaea/Pycnodonte?

Lone Hunter

Cretateous oyster from Grayson formation that I need to mark off my list.  Largest oyster I've found,  both valves present, weighs half a pound, but umbo and beak are obliterated so undecided. I think Ostrea when I see ruffles.  And now Gryphaea are going by Pycnodonte?  They stick an e on the end of fish name and it's an oyster now? Why do they want to confuse us more :)

IMG_20231217_204210934~2.jpg

IMG_20231217_204231586~2.jpg

IMG_20231217_204522341~2.jpg

IMG_20231215_224613472~2.jpg

IMG_20231217_204936201.jpg

IMG_20231215_225637253~2.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Might be an Exogyra. 3 possible species from Mainstreet and Grayson:  Exogyra clarki; Exogyra drakei; or Exogyra cartledgei. ID of Texas oysters tough since there are a wide variety of shapes for a single species.

E. Böse, "On a New Exogyra from the Del Rio Clay and Some Observations on the Evolution of Exogyra in the Texas Cretaceous," Bulletin No. 1902 of the University of Texas Bureau of Economic Geology, (1919).

https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/server/api/core/bitstreams/b7186570-2c68-4f71-b121-24c8ff20c762/content

Stanton, 1947. Studies of some Comanche pelecypods and gastropods. USGS Professional Paper 211   See plates 22-23.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/0211/report.pdf

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

8 hours ago, Plax said:

is it bioimmured with an ammonite?

Learning new word here,  not sure what your seeing and how to interpret. Edit, gotcha, I assume it's an ammonite now that you mentioned it, so they both grew together?

Edited by Lone Hunter

Oyster. Lol

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

1 hour ago, Lone Hunter said:

Thank you @Ludwigia! The oyster looks quite old, would it have outlived the ammonite?  What causes them to eventually separate?

Oyster larvae attach to hard surfaces. In this case it attached to an ammonite shell that was most likely dead and laying on the sea bottom. They probably became separate when the aragonite shell of the ammonite dissolved after burial, during the fossilization process. The oyster shell is calcite which is more stable than aragonite.

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Thank you @Ludwigia! The oyster looks quite old, would it have outlived the ammonite?  What causes them to eventually separate?

I don't think we'll ever know who lived longest. They may have first separated after they were fossilized, or one could even have been bumped off the other while they were still alive....or somewhere between the two....oops...I see Al Dente beat me to it and his answer is much better than mine.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I like your answer too it's just more imaginative. :D Surely sometimes the spat attached to live things, wonder if the ammonite were alive if it considered the oyster something of a parasite and would try to get rid of it.

On 12/19/2023 at 12:51 AM, Lone Hunter said:

Oysters are funny? Am I missing the joke?

Sorry, what I was attempting to relay was my ignorance in identifying individuals from this group of bivalves.  All of my “oyster” fossils are labeled thusly:

“Oyster.”

George Santayana

Totally get it.  I believe there are some 80 species of oysters just in Texas.  I bet I have a third of them and trying to nail down ID is frustrating to say the least.  So yeah, oyster :shakehead:

7 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Totally get it.  I believe there are some 80 species of oysters just in Texas.  I bet I have a third of them and trying to nail down ID is frustrating to say the least.  So yeah, oyster :shakehead:

Oyster IDs making speciating Carcharhinus teeth easy by comparison, imho

• Enjoyed 1

George Santayana