Pliosaur/Plesiosaur Tooth from Stary Oskol?

Alston Gee

Hi everyone,

I recently found a marine reptile tooth fossil that was discovered in Stary Oskol, Russia. The tooth is currently labeled as “Pliosaur” by the seller. Considering the prevalent geological age of the Stary Oskol region as Cretaceous, it indicates that the tooth could be from a Cretaceous plesiosaur or pliosaur. However, the absence of enamel striation raises doubts about its identity, as most Cretaceous pliosaur teeth typically exhibit fine striations across the circumference. Any thoughts on this?

C5D4AC48-2965-424D-84A6-447F092E6FCB.jpeg

IMG_5251.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

1 hour ago, Alston Gee said:

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon Hi Alex I noticed that you own a Russian pliosaur tooth from the same region. Do you have any idea what species this tooth fossil is?

Hi Alston,

I presume you're talking about the tooth singled out in the first photograph, right? Not any of the other ones.

It's rather rolled, and the preservation seems somewhat unusual for the locality. But seeing as its cylindrical nature and curvature, I'd say it's a plesiosaur tooth - though not a brachauchenine pliosaur, as it lacks the necessary robustness. Instead, this most approximates the polycotylid teeth known from the area, with the striae worn off. Compare with the below images. I'm not aware of these teeth having been ascribed to a species yet.

432658050_StaryOskolpolycotylidtooth01.jpg.a4ba9ae747e87efa56f00160b2a2aae0.jpg1994582003_StaryOskolpolycotylidtooth02.jpg.c384190d399f780cc679ae53cba7515c.jpg

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett