Peace River mystery rocks

Balance

Hello, 

hope everyone is doing well here on the geology channel. 

Found these in the peace river in Florida, US.  was hoping someone could shed some light on these two items. 

The numbers are from my trip journal entry so I apologize that they are randomly numbered here. 

Thanks 

Jp

What type of rock is this? Basically these grab my eye as fossils or teeth and when wet they are even more deceiving. As you can see inside is pure and it’s encased in this darker shell. Any info would be appreciated. It’s actually pretty neat but I’d also like a name to call out before I cus at it and throw it back out next time. 

Im calling it “pound cake” geology for now. 

823D88C6-5682-46E0-ACE4-1101D2BCDE55.thumb.jpeg.1c687db2aea944968a26e4beba480586.jpeg

Beautiful Strange

There are lots of these. Finally decided to bring one home and investigate. Couldn’t cut it with a masonry disc and grinder so I just popped it with a hammer. 
Any ideas?

raw and polished out    - last image shows the texture and finish of the stone after fracturing and without any polishing. 

A0F878CC-2DD4-4B5D-A10E-F8EB9BD93D7A.thumb.jpeg.d12355e460e6e712e78da7fb9b48571d.jpegF578BF59-76A0-425A-A9FB-D52CB690091C.thumb.jpeg.389a7aee59b30af8b37519b4282f3702.jpeg
5BA4734C-386D-46C4-BBCF-61C96FD648FA.thumb.jpeg.3c516938135451a2a8353549639b5695.jpeg

Edited by Balance

12 ) Appears to be a mixed or composite piece of partially agatized coral, with what’s apparently called “Drusy” bands instead of a solid infill of the geode.   In this case it’s grey/blue but can be a handful of other colors. It’s mixed in layers with other agatized bands. Some are lighter. 

Drusy refers to an extremely fine grain type of quartz layering so I’m not sure the term is correct but the effect on the Chert is the same. 

Because this wasn’t a solid piece there’s mixed areas of a lighter rock that I haven’t figured out yet but I’m thinking it’s possibly silica based sediment that didn’t turn into chert. Thus the matrix of both in harmony. 

Best I got for now. 

Jp

Edited by Balance

jp

I am unsure what #12 is... but it is likely a mix of materials that includes silica transformation...

I do not think it is druzy,  but could be incorrect.

Here is a thread that deals with the terms druzy and boytroidal grapes

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks, @Shellseeker 

Read through that but as you say I got overwhelmed drinking from the firehose. Another topic on the list to read into during the daily constitutions. ;)  

Googling any of the words needed to learn more also becomes a floodgate of both info and Etsy shops. Beware 

Jp

• I Agree 2

I have this piece that I found earlier this year. I believe it has the actual Drusy layer over the boytroidal clusters. At least from my reading today and from the example in the thread this seems to be what that frost layer is. 

very cool day. Learned so much but still know nothing about this rock I polished other than there are a bunch of minerals in there and I don’t understand the first one. :) 

6CF15E21-DB4A-49C8-A673-D0142B64B667.thumb.jpeg.2720c95196c378da917a8cbf758a89f3.jpeg

• I Agree 1

I don't have any informational light to shine on this, but I can say I would have pick these up and brought them home as well.  Especially the last one pictured.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1