Eopachydiscus ammonite chunk missing?

Shaun-DFW Fossils

I found this Duck Creek Eopachydiscus ammonite back in March or April, east of Benbrook Lake in Tarrant county Tejas.

2CCEABA3-17FA-47FC-8A39-730E76B66E91.thumb.jpeg.6761298abd72cc22494f062fb2b90211.jpeg.

I forgot it was under my sink..lol! Any idea whether this missing chunk can be attributed to a bite mark or is it more likely from something else that crushed it? I’ve tried to provide various photos to see indentations that might give clues. If it’s nothing special, it’s going to become plastered into part of someone’s home entry display, otherwise I’ll keep it. 😆

34F96EBA-3C55-4E10-BCA0-F1414DC71912.jpeg

D92E588B-EA67-47E9-97D6-099F392FCDA6.jpeg

E19A8C7B-5A06-4838-B05F-01D9E8139801.jpeg

779F710D-ACCF-45AE-895A-DD3FB56B7354.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Without teeth marks and the missing portion filled with lime mud it would be hard to say that it's a bite. Most ammonites I've found were not complete.

It does show the anatomy though.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, RuMert said:

Possible ventral bite as the muscles were attached in the beginning of the body chamber, if severed, the body would fell out of the shell

1 hour ago, fossilus said:

Without teeth marks and the missing portion filled with lime mud it would be hard to say that it's a bite. Most ammonites I've found were not complete.

It does show the anatomy though.

Thanks to both of you for your observations and opinions! 

The odds and evidence heavily favor simple erosion at the suture lines in a weaker part of the internal matrix.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

51 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

The odds and evidence heavily favor simple erosion at the suture lines in a weaker part of the internal matrix.

Thanks John, I previously had someone else suggest the same a few months ago, so I’m not surprised at that possibility/likelihood. If only I had found an actual imbedded tooth..haha

• Enjoyed 1