Mammuthus primigenius: authentic tooth? Upper left or right?

mr.rod

Hello dear collectors & experts,

I have purchased two beautiful new Mammuthus primigenius fossils, which I will describe in two separate topics.

Here comes my brand new M3 upper tooth.

Key figures as by seller

• 27cm (10.5") up to 33cm (13") long max, 21cm (8") high and 10cm (4") wide
  • About 5kg (11lb)
  • 50,000 years old
  • No restoration
  • Baden-Württemberg, Germany

I'm really proud of the tooth and would love to get your expertise about

1. Authenticity
  2. Your quality rating (fossil and prep)
  3. If it's an upper left or right tooth (left?)

Thanks a lot.

2239-1-scaled.jpg

2239-2-scaled.jpg

2239-3-scaled.jpg

2239-4-scaled.jpg

2239-5-scaled.jpg

2239-6-scaled.jpg

Edited by mr.rod
No restoration, quality rating
  • Enjoyed 3

"Identifying upper and lower jaw teeth is somewhat less difficult. In general upper jaw teeth have longer crown plates and shorter roots while lower jaw teeth have longer roots and shorter crowns.

Right vs Left Molars
If you want to know if the tooth is from the right or left side, first determine if it is top or bottom, then simply hold the tooth with the occlusal (the part that come in contact with food) surface in the position it would be in the mouth. For example, if it is an upper jaw tooth the occlusal surface should face down. Then point the mesial end away from you. Now with the tooth in the correct orientation, simply note the curved edge of the tooth. If the tooth is an upper, the curve is generally to the labial (outside) side. If it is a lower, the curve is to the lingual (inside) side."

MammothLowersLeftRight.jpg.8a7e595ef284ea44e6bc552eb8f218da.jpg

@digit

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

17 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

"Identifying upper and lower jaw teeth is somewhat less difficult. In general upper jaw teeth have longer crown plates and shorter roots while lower jaw teeth have longer roots and shorter crowns.

Right vs Left Molars
If you want to know if the tooth is from the right or left side, first determine if it is top or bottom, then simply hold the tooth with the occlusal (the part that come in contact with food) surface in the position it would be in the mouth. For example, if it is an upper jaw tooth the occlusal surface should face down. Then point the mesial distal end away from you. Now with the tooth in the correct orientation, simply note the curved edge of the tooth. If the tooth is an upper, the curve is generally to the labial (outside) side. If it is a lower, the curve is to the lingual (inside) side."

Great description. Here you can see the slight curvature of lower mammoth teeth--the flatter (or concave) edge to the outside (labial) edge of the jaw and a slightly convex side on the inside (lingual) edge of the jaw.

wmx001g__35038.jpg

The upper mammoth molars are more straight (concave) along the inner (lingual) side and more convexly rounded on the outside (labial) edge of the tooth.

mammoth-find-sequim-teaser-500x500.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 4
  • Thank You 1

59 minutes ago, digit said:

The upper mammoth molars are more straight (concave) along the inner (lingual) side and more convexly rounded on the outside (labial) edge of the tooth.

mammoth-find-sequim-teaser-500x500.jpg

19 hours ago, mr.rod said:

2239-5-scaled.jpg

@Shellseeker Thanks, had seen that post but was lost what is what, left and right as well as front and back not clear to me. Also the photo shows lower molars while mine is an upper.

@digit Amazing, had googled  for quite a while and couldn't find a proper upper jaw photo. Here you go - THANKS A LOT.

So, assuming, on your photo the trunk would point away from us into the background, the left side of the photo would also show the left tooth.

So my tooth would be an upper left.

Edited by mr.rod
lower vs upper molars
  • I Agree 1