Pyritized Concretion

PMc

• New Members

I am fascinated by this taco-like concretion.  Is its contents forever bound to the pyrite, left to me only speculation as to what it might be? Or can the matrix be removed to reveal what it contains?

IMG_2209.jpeg

IMG_2203.jpeg

IMG_2205.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg

You could try crack it open. But if there is nothing inside then you ruin a decent pyrite specimen. Do you know if these type of concretions are common and sometimes contain fossils? I will say that the last two pics appear like something of interest may be sandwiched in the middle.

Edited by Darktooth
  • I Agree 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It looks like one that may respond to the freeze/thaw technique of opening nodules.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

We have pyrite/marcasite nodules in northern France, found in limestone. Generally they contain nothing but often have beautiful shapes.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• New Members
On 12/31/2023 at 3:29 PM, PMc said:

On 12/31/2023 at 3:42 PM, Darktooth said:

You could try crack it open. But if there is nothing inside then you ruin a decent pyrite specimen. Do you know if these type of concretions are common and sometimes contain fossils? I will say that the last two pics appear like something of interest may be sandwiched in the middle.

I suppose I could.  But it points out that I would probably  be best served by having a SME examine it .  I will keep it intact, continue to explore this forum and look for some more.  Than

48 minutes ago, jpc said:

SME?

An individual with qualifications and experience in a particular field or work process; an individual who by education, training, and/or experience is a recognized expert on a particular subject, topic, or system.  A so called - Subject Matter Expert.

Edited by SPrice
  • I Agree 1

When It comes to nodules/ concretions, regardless of what they are made of, some contain fossils or minerals and some don't. Unless there is something that shows on the outside of the specimen there is really no way of knowing for sure. Unless you take a chance in opening it. You don't need an SME for that. We have pyritized nodules here in New York. I have opened some and found trilobites, bivalves and cephalopods. Others contained nothing. It's a gamble.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

5 hours ago, SPrice said:

An individual with qualifications and experience in a particular field or work process; an individual who by education, training, and/or experience is a recognized expert on a particular subject, topic, or system.  A so called - Subject Matter Expert.

Glad I asked... I am sure almost of our non-USAian forum members were also wondering.  : )

• I Agree 1

Having collected a few pyrite nodules in the Austin Group in north Texas, I have never seen anything interesting inside the broken ones. Keep them whole.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I've collected an awful lot of pyrite nodules in my day and this one looks to me like it wouldn't be worth opening. I'd leave it as is.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/