Looking For Some Tips..

Stonebreaker

I did ALOT of research on good places around me to go hunting for fossils and I found out about a formation called "Bear Gulch Limestone". I'm wondering if someone knows of a legal and public area to go or how to tell that I'm on the right track.ie. the right formation. I live in Billings MT. and was going to go up to the Little snowy mountains near Grassrange. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Stone

PS. If anyone has any other sites besides this formation that would be great too.

I did ALOT of research on good places around me to go hunting for fossils and I found out about a formation called "Bear Gulch Limestone". I'm wondering if someone knows of a legal and public area to go or how to tell that I'm on the right track.ie. the right formation. I live in Billings MT. and was going to go up to the Little snowy mountains near Grassrange. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Stone

PS. If anyone has any other sites besides this formation that would be great too.

Heh, yea it is an amazing site, but you will not get in (I have been trying). The exposures are on private land. Some are run by researchers and one is run by a woman who sells the material to a dealer. It would be awesome if you find an exposure though. Look for exposures in Fergus County.

-PzF

Bummer...I got a Benchmark atlas of Montana and saw that there was a fair amount of BLM and state land around the area that Roadside Geology of montana said that theres formations of Bear gultch limestone. I thought that I'd find some road cuts or something...Now I'm depressed. Got to fnd another location. It sucks that theres no up-to-date info on rock clubs around here. Maybe I'd get some tips then.

I hope you get in 1 day though!! Maybe the flood gates will open then!!