Silurian Dolostone Prep

Baking Geologist

I apologize, I am not used to dealing with dolostone of this hardness.  The rock of the Niagara Escarpment is serious stuff!

What type of equipment besides cold chisels, dental tools and hydrochloric acid should I consider purchasing?

What kinds of fossils are you looking for? That would guide any answers others may give.

Be aware hydrochloric acid isn't a great prep tool for dolostones as it isn't always very reactive with it. Depending on the composition and forms of the rocks, the reaction speed and intensity can vary drastically. If you don't have extensive experience and the appropriate setup to handle chemicals that can kill you or ruin your life with a little mistake, then just stay away from hydrochloric acid. Leave it in the laboratories. If you are determined to use acid prepping, use grocery store white vinegar. It is far less lethal to you, and more forgiving on the fossils. You'll need something to mask the fossils from the acid too, like paraloid B-72.

Edited by EphemeralMoose
corrected misspelled words, and added info.

1 minute ago, EphemeralMoose said:

What kinds of fossils are you looking for? That would guide any answers others may give.

Be aware hydrochloric acid isn't a great prep tool for dolostones as it isn't always very reactive with it. Depending on the composition and forms of the rocks, the reaction speed and intensity and vary drastically. If you don't have extensive experience and the appropriate setup to handle chemicals that can kill you or ruin your life with a little mistake, then just stay away from hydrochloric acid. Leave it in the laboratories. If you are determined to use acid prepping, use grocery store white vinegar. It is fat less lethal to you, and more forgiving on the fossils.

The hydrochloric acid is more to see what part is silicious or not.  

in no way shape or form would I try and dissolve it in HCl. I’ve done similar in my grad student days with proper safety gear and a large fume hood. 

What am I looking for? Crinoids, brachiopods, trilobites and any cephalopods.  I’ve never found either of the last two on my list.  

Specifically I’m working with the Racine Formation in Quarry Park in Racine Wisconsin.  

1 minute ago, Baking Geologist said:

The hydrochloric acid is more to see what part is silicious or not.  

in no way shape or form would I try and dissolve it in HCl. I’ve done similar in my grad student days with proper safety gear and a large fume hood. 

What am I looking for? Crinoids, brachiopods, trilobites and any cephalopods.  I’ve never found either of the last two on my list.  

Specifically I’m working with the Racine Formation in Quarry Park in Racine Wisconsin.  

Oh good, I'm glad you aren't doing that! I now see I misunderstood your original post. I feel a need to warn people about things like acid/base prepping.

I'll let others provide more useful advice on tools after my 1.5 cents - I've found a large piece of steel with a small ridge along it is a great tool. Something like the top or bottom of an I-beam. It works to guide breaks on the bottom of a stone as you also work the top of the stone.

• Thank You 1

Just now, EphemeralMoose said:

Oh good, I'm glad you aren't doing that! I now see I misunderstood your original post. I feel a need to warn people about things like acid/base prepping.

I'll let others provide more useful advice on tools after my 1.5 cents - I've found a large piece of steel with a small ridge along it is a great tool. Something like the top or bottom of an I-beam. It works to guide breaks on the bottom of a stone as you also work the top of the stone.

I was looking for organic material in argillaceous sediments.  First zap the stuff with HCl and after dissolving all the carbonates treating what’s left with HFl  Yeah, that stuff is NASTY.  

Unfortunately the organics left behind looked like burnt lettuce that had been whirled in a blender 🤷‍♀️ so I had to find a different location to study.